We are looking for an Engineering leader who can provide direction & guidance across execution, team development & growth, & technical strategy.
Why This Role Is Important Now
The BuzzFeed Engineering team of ~100 sits within the umbrella of BuzzFeed Tech, which is comprised of complementary disciplines such as Product Management, Design, Data, & Project Management. Our approach to engineering has evolved significantly from a Perl monolith to over 600 microservices, with a focus on developer effectiveness & growth.
Our business has also evolved tremendously. We now have four flagship brands: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, & HuffPost, each with their respective web & mobile apps. Across the brands, we have a diversified set of revenue lines: direct-sold advertising, programmatic advertising, commerce, subscription, partnership, licensing, & off-platform revenue.
In addition to consumer-facing apps, there is a rich portfolio of internal tools that power our internal operations for engineers, writers, video producers, finance, & more: intelligent content distribution, content management, revenue optimization, content recommendations, messaging, analytics, & machine learning. We are making investments in growth areas such as Quiz, Commerce, community, & mobile. This Engineering leader is more important than ever to ensure that our engineering organization is set up to power the BuzzFeed of today, & building for the BuzzFeed of tomorrow.
What Youll Do
- Set technical direction: propose how to evolve our technical stack to match our current & future product needs.
- Provide high-level strategic guidance at all levels of the BuzzFeed tech stack. Able to boil down complex problems & help tech leads navigate through complex (sometimes urgent) technical decisions.
- Translate business & product priorities into a compelling engineering vision that helps engineering leads build focus & autonomy for their respective teams. Provide critical feedback throughout the implementation phase of the roadmap in order to sharpen focus & optimize execution.
- Optimize sequencing of work while balancing priorities, the team's long-term health, & individuals' growth aspirations.
- Coach Tech Leads to best match roadmap opportunities & individuals with the right set of competency x capacity x aspiration.
- Advise teams on what not to focus on, or when to take an alternative approach. Recognize & step in situations that require executive decisions.
- Make sure the trains run on time: hold teams accountable for target dates + quality to avoid unexpected post launch issues.
- Proactively flag & help teams resolve potential execution risks, including but not limited to knowledge, resource gaps, clarity of dependencies, etc.
Talent Development: Recruit + Retain + Grow
- Foster a diverse & inclusive environment.
- Continuously improve our management practices. Ensure engineering managers are set up for success while holding them accountable for the health, growth, & impact of their reports.
- Create growth opportunities for all engineers through mentorship or project opportunities.
- Promote an environment of knowledge sharing & constant learning.
- Be a good sounding board for Engineering Team Leads, especially first-time leads, as they gain clarity in their role, & help them lead their respective teams with product & design partners.
What You Have
- 10+ years of relevant technical experience across web, app, infrastructure, & data applications
- 3+ years leading leading a 100+ engineering organization
- 5+ years of experience of managing technical products, budgets, & justifying resource needs to senior leaders & finance partners
- Manage, & hold accountable a motivated, distributed team, & demonstrated ability to bring people together against a set of strategies & goals
- demonstrated success delivering technical solutions in high-growth environments with a proven track record of innovative thinking balanced with a strong customer & focus
- Prior demonstrated experience being a catalyst for positive change, within a global, fast-paced growth environment
- Experience in translating strategy to tactical plans with execution & delivery.
- A healthy skepticism for the status quo & an unwillingness to settle
- An empathetic leadership style & have a strong self-awareness
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
About BuzzFeed Tech
BuzzFeed Tech is a group of about 150 product managers, engineers, data scientists, & designers that are focused on building great products & content experiences that bring our audience joy & truth. Were a collaborative & friendly bunch that works in a typical agile way with sprints, JIRA, OKRs, & a close working relationship with management & stakeholders.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.