What is Appian? Its a low-code application platform that lets business people build powerful enterprise web & mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
Appians vision is to unite people, process, & data in a seamless platform for low-code automation across the enterprise. Data is a critical part of any application but unfortunately, most businesses are hamstrung by their data being spread across their enterprise. The Appian platform provides app developers with a rich set of capabilities for bringing data together & letting users easily interact with data regardless of where it is stored.
The goal of the Modern Records Group is to make it easy for developers to quickly build powerful, complex, & performant data-driven applications. We work with the customer's data, whether it be in traditional databases, web services or third party tools like Salesforce. We then layer on top of that our "Appian Data Service" which adds additional features that let the customer easily extend their data, join across sources, handle complex security, & create powerful UIs & reports.
Building an app development framework that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate & innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our data-centric app development capabilities & ensure they are intuitive, fast, & flexible.
Senior Managers of Software Development (SMSD) ensure the continued high performance of a medium-sized group of software engineers & work with Technical Mentors (TMSDs) & Managers (MSDs) to ensure the growth of employees within a specific technology layer. SMSDs provide mentoring & career coaching to their direct reports & help their teams deliver on-time & with high quality. SMSDs spend around 50 of their time as a hands-on developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.). If an SMSD is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be closer to 25%.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design patterns to write software in a full-stack web & mobile environment.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices & faster development.
- Deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews & technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 12 direct reports through mentoring & coaching, including Technical Mentors of Software Development, Managers of Software Development, Senior & Lead Agile Coaches, & various levels of Software Engineers. SMSDs will usually spend up to 50% of their time managing direct reports depending on how many direct reports they have.
- Develop & guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team & departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning & growth.
- Performance of HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises & bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 8+ years in software development, with 2+ years as an manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.