Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking an Assistant Controller to join our Accounting team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate is a CPA with a Big 4 background & a mix of public & private, a love of problem solving & building processes, & experience coaching & managing a team. This role will drive business impact by managing the people, processes, & technology needed to ensure we accurately & efficiently close the books & consolidate our global financials on a monthly basis. You will oversee a team of direct & indirect reports, & you will report to the Global Controller based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What Youll Do
- Responsible for setting operational strategy & overseeing the accounting operations (revenue, margin, inventory, expenses, accounts payable, capital spend, debt, equity) & managing key aspects of the record-to-report process cycle
- Oversee the monthly, quarterly, & annual closing of the books for all entities (US & foreign) & directly manage intercompany accounting & eliminations to ensure consolidated books are rolled up properly
- Own the technology landscape & roadmap for the accounting function & ensure the team is properly trained on how to use all accounting systems
- Implement & maintain proper internal controls over financial master data & the accounting cycles, with a focus on record-to-report & the close process
- Directly handle the application of ASC 718 with respect to the companys stock-based compensation plans
- Manage technical resources to develop company policies for new accounting standards (i.e. ASC 606, ASC 842) & oversee the adoption of those standards
- Manage financial & bank audits, including coordinating the team to provide audit requests, ensuring we are providing auditors with complete, accurate workpapers on a timely basis
- Support the Tax Sr Manager & Controller to ensure that statutory tax & financial filings are completed timely for all global jurisdictions
- Maintain process documentation & look for opportunities to automate & improve daily accounting processes
- Manage a high-performing team by proactively coaching team members & developing career growth opportunities, as well as recruiting & hiring new talent
Who you are:
- 6+ years of progressive accounting experience, including 3+ years at a public accounting firm
- Technical expertise in US GAAP, with specific experience in ASC 718, ASC 460, ASC 842, & ASC 606 preferred
- Netsuite and/or Microsoft Dynamics 365 system experience
- Audit experience (as the auditor and/or the client)
- SOX 404 experience
- An experienced People Manager with a desire to coach, mentor, & train direct & indirect reports
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.