First, some data on the growth of CB Insights.
- 2015 - 66 teammates
- 2016 - 104 teammates
- 2017 - 168 teammates
- 2018 - 209 teammates
- 2019 - 292
- Today - 300+ & growing
Over that same period, our revenue has grown 800% & weve been cash flow positive.
Underpinning this growth is the CB Insights Technology Intelligence platform, the vast market we have to capitalize on, & a great team with top talent across all levels.
Data & research is the lifeblood of CB Insights & what our clients rely on us for.
The VP of Data & Information Operations plays a critical role in driving the efficient & ongoing scaling of our data & information operations.
On the data front, the VP will be managing a team who will monitor & meaningfully improve us on 4 dimensions:
- Throughput - This is volume of data input for a particular dataset
- Productivity - This is volume of data capture per unit of time (ties directly to cost per data)
- Accuracy - Volume of accurate results / total volume
- Speed to production - The speed from decision to pursue a dataset to actually acquiring & scaling it
Influencing & driving the above will require working with the team as well as partnering closely with engineering & product to develop:
- The systems & technology we build for our team & any partners we work with
- The workflows & user experience within those systems
- The standard operating procedures (SOPs) that inform those admins
On the information front, the VP will work with our research, sales & client success teams to assist in the development of a wide range of information deliverables including but not limited to:
- Augmenting our research team in the development of their reports & research briefs
- Scaling new research products that will benefit our clients
- Creating innovative & impactful ways to equip our sales & client success teams with deal intelligence that benefits new business development & renewals
The above will require working with our research, sales & client success teams to identify key areas of opportunity & then building & scaling in-house capabilities, partners or a combination that gets us to results quickly.
The VP will report directly to CB Insights CEO, & will be an integral part of the leadership team.
Youll be successful in this role if you have the following experience & attributes:
- 10+ years of experience building & scaling a data & information operations teams
- Demonstrated experience running data operations & improving metrics such as throughput, productivity & accuracy (Lean and/or Six Sigma principles are a plus)
- Systems-thinking mindset
- Great instincts. Your thinking, judgment & results decisions should be right, way more often than not.
- You prescribe solutions & dont just describe problems.
- You ruthlessly prioritize all of the time. You understand that there is no lack of decisions & ideas & it is critical to pick the biggest most valuable bets. For the VP, this includes decisions on when to build vs buy or when to build scalable technology vs when non-scalable methods will be more effective.
- You are client obsessed. Everything should be informed & influenced by how we add value to clients
- Communicates simply & effectively. Less jargon, less Powerpoint.
- Deep experience building & refining complex workflows & multiple pipelines dealing with management of large volumes of data
- A great leader who can recruit, develop, manage & inspire a high-performing team
- Partnership & vendor management experience
Whats CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore & exploit emerging technologies. We help the worlds leading companies accelerate their digital strategy & transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine & human intelligence to help you discover & manage your response to emerging technology startups & markets.
- Amazing culture that emphasizes folks who have high standards, humility, hunger, helpfulness & who work hard. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 600k people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA & FSA options, dental, & vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest & Relax: Competitive vacation & holiday plans
- Refuel: Daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving & creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team & encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here & you'll be eligible for $5,000!