Chief Technology Officer
Reports to: CEO
Start Date: Immediately
Who we are
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history. We have the stability of a 25-year-old organization, but we look, feel, & operate like a tech-forward startup.
We are hiring for an inspirational Chief Technology Officer to help create the most socially active generation in history. If you're looking for a position with high impact that will positively affect millions of people
One third of our staff is in Engineering, Product, & Data. Our products enable our millions of young members to take action in their communities, see their impact, & over time turn them on to a lifetime of volunteering. We use the best of modern tools & methodologies to make our product vision a reality. Were a well-resourced nonprofit that can afford to invest in industry-standard services & technologies.
In 2020 we are planning to be one of the largest youth registration organizations in the country, registering hundreds of thousands of young people to vote, & turning out many more than that for the election. The youth vote could turn this election. Youll help make that happen.
What youll do
Leadership: Youll lead the Engineering organization, with the Head of Product as your peer & close partner. Youll foster a culture of practical & open decision-making, data- & hypothesis-driven thinking, constructive peer feedback, psychological safety, industry-leading career development, & excellent recruiting. The work that you prioritize, the people you celebrate, & the personal qualities that you display have a big & lasting influence on engineering culture. Youll write, show up at public tech events, & generally do what you can to help DoSomething recruit great engineering talent.
Youll think ahead about technology & industry trends: six months out, one year out, & beyond. Youll help to prepare the organization to meet future challenges & take advantage of future opportunities, whether its GDPR compliance or FaaS developments & act with urgency & agility to meet the challenges in front of us today.
Management: Youll manage both managers & senior individual contributors across all disciplines: product engineering, data engineering, & platform engineering. With the Director of Engineering, who reports to you, youll continue to evolve the reporting & team structures to best serve the mission. Youll create & track career development plans for each of your direct reports. Your team will stay longer because they know that you want them to be successful in their careers, not just at DoSomething.
Executive work: Youll be a peer to your fellow executives in Operations, Marketing, Product, Business Development, & Consulting. Youll meet regularly with this team to make big & small decisions about strategy, culture, & people, covering everything from compensation strategy to annual staff retreat. This is your chance to care about all of the details that make an organization successful.
What were looking for
Management experience: You should have extensive experience getting engineers to produce their best work, which means youre adept at inspiring them with a vision of the end state & providing unifying narratives for the team. You can also go in depth & help guide technology & implementation decisions, if the situation calls for it. You can help debug interpersonal tensions on a team, & you can coach others to do the same. You know how to bring down the temperature of a heated debate, remind everyone that were on the same team, & drive technical decisions that the group will commit to. You can help a team operate at a higher level by identifying both process & technology improvements, & by getting the team to focus on metrics that matter.
Technical leadership: You wont have to pass a coding test for this job. You should be at the point in your career where you get greater satisfaction out of aligning a team to ship excellent work than you do from writing the code yourself.
Youre still able to talk & reason about specific technologies, though. Youre comfortable with at least some of our stacks & services:
Communications: You should be an excellent & reliable communicator in all settings: one-on-ones, team meetings, all-staff meetings, with the board of directors, with foundations & potential clients, & in external settings like conferences. DoSomething should be able to count on you to craft & deliver the right message for any given audience. This includes being able to communicate when youre not sure, or dont know enough to make a decision.
You are skilled at explaining to non-engineers why software development seems to take so long. At the same time, you have approaches for increasing engineering flow, & youll be able to give the teams some new perspective on this.
You will work cross-functionally with other departments to ensure that technology solutions are successfully implemented according to DoSomethings strategies & priorities, are designed both responsibly & efficiently, implemented securely, & are forward-thinking.
Planning & Goal Setting: You will help to define & own KPIs & outcomes for Engineering; work with Product on strategy, road-mapping, & design. You will outline, plan, & execute organization-wide technology planning & change management including the establishment of technology priorities aligned with our mission & the design of a cohesive overall technical architecture.
Budgeting: Youll own the technology budget, which between staff & services accounts for about a third of our $13M budget. As part of this, youll own significant vendor relationships, get them to love us, & help get more great products & services at steep discounts. Youll help vendors to understand that the discounts they give us translate into more young people voting & volunteering.
- A technology vision for where we might go but practicality about incremental steps to get there
- An iterative agile approach with experience continuously shipping & delivering consumer technology products
- A bias towards simplicity in engineering architecture
- Pragmatism in deciding when to build vs buy
- Organization, process discipline, & an ability to get sh*t done, look for optimizations, & remove blockers
- Passion for working on consumer products; understanding of the role users play in the the product technology lifecycle
- Understanding of what a strong, healthy working relationship looks like between Product & Technology
- Strong skills in people management & mentoring, & a high EQ
- A clear communication style: You can synthesize & explain complex technical ideas to non-technical audiences
- Excellent stakeholder management: You can work with the Head of Product to educate & build broader understanding of how product + technology works outside of the core team, & manage expectations
- Enjoys rolling up sleeves, whether its jumping into code or technical specification documents
Select Perks & Benefits
- 3 weeks' vacation plus the week between Christmas & New Years (and Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day -- office closes at 1:30), fun office environment, plus, you dont have to come to work on your birthday.
- 100% medical & dental premiums covered for employees. Yes, you read that right.
- DoSomething is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org & DoSomething Strategic (we, us) are committed to protecting & respecting your privacy. This policy explains when & why we collect personal information on candidates, & how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people & social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online & offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How & why we collect data from you.
- We collect & retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, & any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, & other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking & gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be recycled for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHRs systems in accordance with JazzHRs Terms of Service.