Our Data team builds & maintains the infrastructure & applications essential to delivering secure, scalable, flexible, & user-friendly data to the organization, enabling informed & data-driven decisions. The team also constructs & curates business critical data-sets that allows Pluralsight to realize the value of all the data collected.
The Director of Data Engineering is responsible for partnering with business & technical leaders to deliver the data modeling & curation components of Pluralsight's data, including: foundational data sets of facts & dimensions, & data pipeline performance tuning. The Director of Data Engineering will be focused on process implementation & change management as new sources of truth & high-performance data sets are rolled out across the company to deliver both reliable & trusted foundational data for consumption by data scientists, product & business analysts, & data practitioners across the organization. Reporting to the Head of Data Engineering & Operations, the Director of Data Engineering will work closely with other teams in the data organization including Data Operations, Data Engineering, Data Insights & Analytics, Experience Data Science, & product teams to create trusted data sets that are foundational to asking & answering the myriad of data questions essential to growing our business.
The perfect applicant for this role has strong leadership skills in addition to experience with big data environments & change management as curated data is upgraded & made available to all of Pluralsight. The ability to craft concise communications & executive-ready presentations that weave together complex, critical data sources & concepts & associating them with business needs will be vital. Close partnership with both business leaders & data practitioners to define the value proposition of data warehousing activities as well as understanding key data questions presented by considerations of Pluralsight's strategy is essential to this role. The position entails both individual effort for planning & documentation as well as the opportunity to build out a team & boundaries of constructs like the data lake, the data warehouse, & data storage as the footprint of the data engineering function grows. Further, continuous interaction with analysts & business leaders in order to determine an optimal approach, & an eagerness to explore data sources to understand the availability, utility, & integrity of our data is essential to the role.
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience designing & delivering data warehouses & marts to support business analytics
- 10+ years of experience designing & developing data curation & integration processes
- 10+ years of experience in SQL development on RDBMS (Postgres preferred) & performance tuning
- Experience with data modeling/data workflow diagrams (conceptual, logical, & physical)
- Experience with source control & deployment workflows for DW & ETL solution delivery
- Experience with cloud architecture & implications for development & data processing
- Production experience with big data processing frameworks like Hadoop & Spark
- Hands-on experience with scripting languages (Python, BASH, etc)
- Preferably experience building Analytics solutions in self-service data pipelines (Alteryx) & data-viz tools (Tableau)
What you'll own:
- Data Warehousing & modeling strategy & delivery
- Management of data engineering team dedicated to curation & data processing
- Evolution of data environment to deliver both continuity & continuous improvement in data quality, speed, & availability
- Curation of source-system data to deliver trusted data sets
- Production ETL performance tuning & environment-level resource consumption & management
- Migration of POC pipelines to production data processes
Experience you'll need:
- Demonstrated success coordinating cross-functional teams to meet project goals & deadlines
- Ability to balance the needs of many stakeholders & communicate timelines & activities at an executive level
- Strong capability to manipulate & analyze complex, high-volume data from a variety of sources
- Effective communication skills with technical team members as well as business partners. Able to distill complex ideas into straightforward language
- Developed & executed a production strategy for many, ad hoc data processes into performant & reliable foundational data pipelines via iterative development in partnership with developers & business customers
Working at Pluralsight
Founded in 2004 & trusted by Fortune 500 companies, Pluralsight is the technology skills platform organizations & individuals in 150+ countries count on to create progress for the world.
Our platform helps technologists master their craft & take control of their careers. We empower businesses everywhere to build adaptable teams, speed up release cycles & become scalable, reliable & secure. We come to work everyday knowing we're helping our customers build the skills that power innovation.
And we don't let fear, egos or drama distract us from our mission. Our mission to democratize technology skills is what drives us & our values are at the helm of how we work together. It's our commitment to practicing them day in, day out that enables our performance. We're adults, & we treat each other that way. We have the autonomy to do our jobs, transparency to eliminate office politics & trust each other to do the right thing. We thrive in an environment with creativity around every corner, challenges that keep us on our toes, & peers who inspire us to be the best we can be. We bring different viewpoints, backgrounds & experiences, & united by our mission, we are one.
Bring yourself. Pluralsight is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.