Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR:
Have you guided a company through an IPO? Do you love dogs to the point of obsession? Were looking for a General Counsel to join our pack. As our business continues growing, we need someone in house who really understands our goals & how to achieve them legally (and who gets our sense of humor).
You will report directly to our CFO to advise all teams within BARK, as well as liaise between BARK & outside counsel when necessary. As General Counsel, we are looking for a business minded, risk-management partner for our General Managers, Department Heads, & Executives.
- Help us with corporate governance as we prepare to become a public company.
- As Bark creates new IP, advise on privacy, trade secret, copyright, trademark & patent questions & prosecution/application.
- Draft & negotiate commercial agreements with suppliers, partners, customers & vendors.
- Act as the first point of contact on all product & advertising regulatory & compliance questions.
- Manage our capitalization table & equity compensation program.
- Manage our corporate risk insurance portfolio.
- Act as a legal advisor to the team regarding labor & employment, tax, financing, litigation, & real estate matters.
- Build a scalable framework for contract management & legal support.
- Manage our outside counsel as needed.
- Identify & assess legal risks & opportunities generally & advise accordingly.
- Partner closely with the CFO & VP Finance & Controller on all risk management.
- 7+ years experience in a lead counsel role.
- Ideally have IPO experience, & have taken a start-up through the process .
- Experience both inside a "well known" law firm as well as with an emerging growth company (EGC)
- A JD, & admission to a state bar.
- In-house experience with a high growth company strongly preferred.
- Consumer product industry experience strongly preferred (experience with regulatory, customer & vendor relations).
- Familiarity with international law in regards to global business expansion is a plus.
- MUST. LOVE. DOGS (this is non-negotiable, even for a lawyer).
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Sound judgment & business acumen.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Effective intra-team & cross-departmental communication in a matrixed organization.
- Hungry self-starter who can operate with little direction.
- Able to keep a cool head while juggling multiple (and sometimes conflicting) priorities between departments & business units.
- Ability to communicate effectively with upper management, particularly with Board members & C-Suite executives.
This position is a full-time position. It is remote to start & could be based in our New York, NY or Seattle, WA locations. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.