ripAdvisor, the worlds largest travel site, operates at scale with over 760 million reviews, opinions, photos, & videos reaching over 490 million unique visitors each month.We are a data driven company, & we have lots & lots of data!
The CoreX Business unit is focused on the travelers experience & journey. We are using our data to help people have amazing & safe trips as they travel the world. The CoreX data engineering team are the experts in our data landscape at TripAdvisor, building out & maintaining truths to enable CoreX to empower travelers across the world finding the best hotels, the best restaurants, & the best experiences they can have!
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on data engineer to help us leverage the massive amount of data that we collect so that we can better understand how to guide each traveler to those experiences that are right for him/her.Our in-house cluster is over 10 PB & growing fast, in addition to a lot of data on AWS, Google, etc.
We need to build data marts.We need to build traffic models.We need to build business models.We need to analyze the way travelers use our site & apps.We need to leverage the significant internal resources that do data mining & machine learning to build recommenders.We need to analyze data & make sure its correct & clean.We need to get this data into the hands of the rest of the business.
This is a hands-on job for someone who wants to solve important business problems that depend on big data analysis.The job requires both serious technical chops & effective communication skills.Sometimes you will build the solution yourself, & sometimes you will be coordinating the efforts of others, but at all times you will be expected to think creatively about solving the business problem.
What you will bring to the team:
- In-depth technical experience with data technologies such as Hadoop (HDFS, Hive, Map/Reduce, EMR), Spark, Snowflake, Presto, Kafka / Samza, BigQuery, etc.
- Solid RDBMS operational knowledge with outstanding SQL skills
- Ability to transform raw, noisy log level data into useful business fact tables
- Solid database design skills
- ETL expertise
- Computer Science expertise algorithms, data structures, software engineering
- General software & programming experience; a lot of our codebase is in Java , but we have lots of Python & Kotlin as well.The ability to navigate this codebase is critical.
- Ability to understand & communicate business needs
- Ability to come up to speed quickly in order to understand & coordinate the work of domain experts in particular the ability to work effectively with product engineering & data analysts
- Strong sense of responsibility: taking pride in your work, leveraging others, owning the problem
And you love, & we mean love, data!