The Director, Engagement Marketing will develop & execute strategy across the First Look Media portfolio (Topic Studios, Topic.com, The Intercept, Field of Vision, Freedom of Press Defense Fund). The ideal team member will have an insatiable curiosity for audience behaviors, & expert knowledge of engagement marketing strategies & tactics including social media, email/newsletter, partnerships, video platforms & the overall media landscape.
- Develop & execute the engagement strategy for First Look Media, Topic streaming service & Topic Studios, ensuring it aligns with our business goals, voice, & individual brand sensibilities to maximize engagement & grow audience visibility and
- Partner with other First Look Media brands to provide audience development & engagement expertise & support.
- Identify cross-promotional opportunities within First Look Media & work collaboratively with internal verticals as well as outside partners to implement.
- Identify & activate promotional partnerships with external partners, talent & events.
- Work closely with the FLM Analytics team to understand & optimize performance
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
- Manage corporate web presence to align with positioning, including consistent updates.
- Manage the content calendar, story selection, frequency & creative expression with an eye toward growing audience, engagement & advocacy.
- Collaborate with each brands social team to ideate native social content in support of brand vertical priorities
- Ensure that all social campaigns are structured based on goals & KPIs
- Participate in paid media budget allocation & boosting strategy
- Lead the testing strategy with the goal of constant iteration & optimization
- Work closely with the FLM Analytics team to understand & optimize performance
- Maintain an understanding of who our audiences are on social, the differences by platform & brand, & develop strategies to grow & deepen our relationship with those audiences
- Monitor the latest media, social trends, & tools & incorporate these into FLMs social strategy; regularly provide internal teams with updated best practices & recommendations
Newsletters & Email
- Develop & execute newsletter/email communications strategy for optimal engagement & subscriber retention.
- Monitor & report on performance while continually developing strategies & content to engage both current & potential subscribers
- Identify & test new ways to grow our audience
- Identify & test segmentation strategies with intent to learn & to create new revenue opportunities
- Partner with the Communications/Events team to lead marketing efforts to support key events with focus on maximizing opportunities for audience growth & awareness. Events include branded & sponsored events, talent-led publicity, & industry B2B events.
Background & Qualifications:
- 7-10 years of specific and/or combined experience in social media strategy/marketing, email/newsletter strategy & execution, & overall audience engagement.
- Experience building audience engagement, ideally with a media organization and/or driving direct-to-consumer subscription-based brands.
- Deep knowledge of social platforms & email marketing best practices & an endless passion for innovation & experimentation in the social space.
- Knowledge of tools such as Social Flow, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Crown Tangle, Tubular, Mailchimp, etc
- Ability to combine data & creative intuition to create social strategies & content recommendations that will attract & engage fans, build communities & drive growth.
- Expert knowledge of organic & paid social strategies & tactics on FB, IG, TW, YT, Reddit, etc.
- Adept at interpreting data & shaping it into actionable strategies & recommendations
- Comfortable managing & collaborating with external agencies
- Strong writing / copy creation skills
- Strong project management skills
- Experience & ability to manage direct report(s) & partner with non-direct reports to execute successfully.
- Customer-first mindset, with the ability to identify & understand audiences, how to reach them for maximum engagement.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to collaborate, build consensus & work across teams.
- Ability to self-manage & prioritize work appropriately
- Experience in a start-up environment a plus
About First Look Media
Boundary-defying innovation. Fierce independence. A deep passion for exploration & excellence defines First Look Media. We are a unique enterprise with one purpose & two missions.
Our for-profit houses Topic Studios, an award-winning entertainment studio that operates across film, television, & podcasts & brings to the screen some of the most culturally significant & provocative stories of our time. We also launched our new Topic branded streaming service, with premier, original, & hand-selected programming from around the globe available on Roku, Apple TV, iOS, Amazon Fire & Android with more coming soon.
Our non-profit is home to The Intercept, renowned for its dedication to fearless, adversarial journalism; Field of Vision, the critically acclaimed, filmmaker-driven documentary unit; & The Press Freedom Defense Fund, supporting journalists, news organizations & whistleblowers standing up for press freedoms & access to information that is in the public interest. Our work here breaks stories through fearless, investigative journalism, produces documentary cinema that explores the world through fresh new perspectives, & supports those who are unjustly threatened in pursuit of a free & open society & press.
Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression & of the press, & the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
Topic is the flagship streaming service from First Look Media, curated for a curious & engaged audience seeking smart, provocative & meaningful entertainment. The rapidly growing service features North American premieres & exclusive programming from around the world, complemented by a diverse slate of Topic Originals.
Programming on Topic includes: the comedic variety series Second City Presents: The Last Show Left on Earth; Down from London from executive producer Sharon Horgan; horror anthology series Soul City from filmmakers Coodie & Chike; the dramatic series The Virtues from filmmaker Shane Meadows starring Stephen Graham; Maria Bamfords discussion show on mental health, Whats Your Ailment?!; & international thriller, Pagan Peak.
Topic is available to US & Canadian audiences on Topic.com, Apple iOS, & AppleTV, Android, Amazon Fire TV, & Roku, in addition to Amazon Prime Video Channels, Apple TV Channels, & Roku Premium Channels.
Follow us on: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo & YouTube.
About Topic Studios
Topic Studios is the award-winning entertainment studio from First Look Media that develops, finances & produces provocative & entertaining content for all platforms including theatrical, streaming, television & podcasts.
The Studio is behind such notable films as the Academy Award winning Spotlight; the critically acclaimed documentary The Fight; the Emmy Award winning & Peabody nominated 16 Shots and the docu-series Love Fraud, both on Showtime; Mucho Mucho Amor & the Emmy nominated docu-series Losers, both streaming on Netflix; & pioneering podcasts including Missing Richard Simmons, the Peabody nominated Running from COPS, John Cameron Mitchells Anthem featuring Glenn Close, Cynthia Erivo & Patti LuPone, & the investigative podcast Somebody.
Listen to our podcasts on iTunes, Luminary, iHeartRadio & Stitcher.
About The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, & multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, & more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald & Jeremy Scahill.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.