Here at Appian, were passionate about technology. We love making it, & we love using it. Joining Appian Engineering will provide you with the opportunity to learn in an environment that values cross-functional collaboration & is committed to personal & professional growth. We want to revolutionize the way people work, & in doing so, we develop the Appian platform to be simple so our customers can thrive.
As an experienced Senior Software Engineer at Appian you will help build automation (RPA) into the next generation of our core low-code application development platform & help tackle our most challenging technical problems alongside other brilliant engineers.
Appian is headquartered in McLean, Virginia & we support a Hybrid work environment.
To be successful in this role, you need to:
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design patterns to write software in a Java & web technology environment, including but not limited to Spring, JPA, JDBC, Hibernate, React, Gradle, & Git.
- Utilize both object-oriented as well as functional programming approaches in different technologies to implement features effectively.
- Demonstrates a passion for platform development, DevOps, Release Engineering & trends including CI/CD & Blue-Green Deployments
- Manage availability, latency, scalability, & efficiency of the product by designing reliability into software & systems.
- Be a strong contributor to team feature breakdowns/sizing & design of new feature implementations.
- Mentor others & perform code reviews which provide feedback not only on code quality, but on design & implementation.
- Seek to identify opportunities for code refactoring & performance optimizations on a regular basis & champion these efforts within the team.
- Effectively communicate technical designs verbally and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical audiences.
- Have a high degree of personal responsibility for the overall performance of the team, including capabilities, quality, stability, & velocity.
- Agile is your mantra & quality is your goal; be a tinkerer at heart with an innate ability to solve tough system problems
Some of the tools & resources we will equip you with include:
- Within your first few weeks of joining us, you will attend new hire orientation along with our 2-day engineering bootcamp to ensure you are set up for success
- Dedicated learning time to focus on areas you specifically would like to focus on as a programmer.
- An agile-led work environment where you will be challenged & your ideas will be heard
- You have 5+ years experience building & delivering enterprise grade software applications
- You hold a BS in Computer Science and/or equivalent years of experience writing code in a modern programming language (Java/React preferred)
- You are able to demonstrate an understanding of systems, algorithms, OO design, & REST API design.
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation & value. Today, we help businesses build apps & workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented & passionate people, given the power & autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile & collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, & all voices are heard. We value & encourage cross-departmental collaboration, & actively seek opportunities to better ourselves & others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, were focused on lasting positive change.