Replica is an enterprise data platform that delivers critical insights about the built environment. With better data, human-context & an intuitive design, Replica helps public & private sectors make informed, effective, & responsive decisions. By showing how people live, move & work, we contextualize hard choices, allowing our clients to see around corners & understand the trade-offs surrounding their decisions. Whether for a city planner increasing public transit to underserved neighborhoods or for a grocery chain evaluating where to open a new location, Replicas insights lets clients make more informed, people-centered decisions.
We spun out of Alphabet in 2019 & recently secured Series B funding from venture firms including Founders Fund, Innovation Endeavors, Sidewalk Labs, Firebrand Ventures, & Revolutions Rise of the Rest Seed Fund. Today, we are a team of over 50 employees with offices in Oakland, New York, & Kansas City.
We value our customers, believe in being resourceful, & work in service of each other to scale our product. As we build our team, we are committed to pursuing & bringing together a diverse workforce & creating an environment of inclusion. We value our differences & we encourage all to apply. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Replica is looking for a VP of Engineering to lead our software engineering organization who is excited to take on complex challenges & build products that users love. The right candidate will be a strategic thinker & entrepreneurially minded, with strong communication skills & a proven history of building great products & teams. A successful technical leader will lead through data & insights, obsess about customer outcomes in every decision they make, & lead by developing the trust & respect of teammates.
Additional characteristics of success in this role starts with a self-motivated individual who thrives taking ownership in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. You deeply believe in servant leadership with an eager willingness to roll up your sleeves & chip in code when needed. You maintain a positive attitude & are non-political, team & results oriented. You have the ability to adapt & adjust plans on-the-fly. And lastly, you are willing to assert opinions, particularly on the technical front, but mindful to know when to disagree & commit.
Heres what you can expect to do in the role:
- Lead our software engineering organization - manage, coach, & support a team of engineering managers & software engineers.
- Rapidly scale the engineering organization by 1) hiring & retaining exceptional talent & 2) designing organizational structure, processes, systems, & tools to help us scale effectively.
- Establish a world class engineering culture dedicated to craft, quality, speed & impact.
- Define & implement software engineering strategy & methodologies to deliver high quality software solutions on tight schedules in a fast-paced environment.
- Bring a high level of technical expertise, guidance, & decision making to all areas of the product including front end application development, testing/QA, infrastructure, & DevOps.
- Collaborate closely with Replicas product team to define & plan resources against the product roadmap.
- Work closely with the executive leadership team on strategic & quarter planning, including definingOKRs that hold the engineering team accountable for their deliverables.
The VP of Engineering will report to the CTO, with this particular role interfacing production systems engineering with the R&D team along with the Replica Product Team which consists of product management, product design, & product marketing functions.
- Experienced: 10+ years of total software engineering experience with 4+ years of management experience. A very strong plus for candidates whove demonstrated success operating at the executive level (VP or higher).
- Education: BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Technical leader: you were a stellar individual contributor in your past with mastery of front end engineering (at least one major framework) & mastery of at least one backend language. And you have the ability to parlay that technical depth to uncover root causes of complex technical problems & provide guidance on solving them, along with experience working across teams & organizations to effect positive engineering outcomes.
- Engineering operator: you have an operators mindset & have a track record of shipping products, getting stuff done, & working in high-growth, product focused organizations. You respect the engineering process but aren't pedantic about it.
- Servant leader: you understand what it means to be a servant leader, & thus, are willing to roll up your sleeves to code & do whatever it takes to help your team & your stakeholders succeed.
- Strong communicator: you are effective at written & verbal communication skills, with the ability to succinctly represent complex technical concepts to varied audiences & different levels of leadership.
- Product partner: you possess excellent business & product sensibility along with experience partnering closely with product management to achieve business goals.
- Customer-focused: you understand that value is not driven by tech for tech sake, but rather, tech that drives business & customer value.
- Recruiter: you are a halo hire & a world class recruiter. Youve demonstrated repeated success in recruiting & retaining world class engineering teams. Engineers whove worked for you in the past want to follow you here. And in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!
What We Value
- We work in the service of others
- We understand that talent + diversity + curiosity + relentlessness wins
- We believe walking > talking
- We operate with thoughtful urgency
- We communicate openly & directly
- We build products people use
- Our people! We work as a team & are excited to contribute to city planning
- Competitive salary based on experience & potential for impact
- Equity at an early stage startup
- Health benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA & HSA options
- 401k account + employer contribution
- Offices in Oakland, CA, New York, NY & Overland Park, KS.
- Flexible PTO
Replica is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to operate at both a strategic/conceptual level & at a detailed, operational level metrics driven; highly disciplined
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, maturity & good judgment & be capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals
- A hands-on, action-oriented approach that fits well with the entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture
- Engaging leadership style that builds & sustains credibility with colleagues, clients & other stakeholders
- Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning & marketing, sales & market development & planning
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above, but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.