Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
Were a tight-knit & highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, content strategists, & analysts working closely with engineers & product managers to discover, validate, & iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, & delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, & presentations to inspire & inform the direction of the product & company as a whole.
You are passionate about developing empathy with our users, especially the small business owners/professionals (Pros), & delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. You have several years of effective cross-functional collaboration experience & you strive to create product experiences that users share & evangelize. Youre a great communicator & story-teller, & can help product teams better understand & advocate for their users. Your focus is on market research methodologies, but you have working knowledge of quantitative methodologies as well.
Customers & pros come from all walks of life & every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About The Role
Market Researchers at Thumbtack will work across product teams & serve as advocates for the needs of customers & Pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping & executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) & providing insights that will drive key product decisions. The ideal candidate will be a social scientist with expertise in experimental & survey methodology, behavioral data analysis, & statistics.
- Focus on developing marketing & communications strategy based on customer & pro insights
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to identify & prioritize research topics in a fast-paced environment.
- Design & execute studies that seek to understand user motivations, attitudes, & behaviors
- Analyze data & synthesize results to generate insights & provide clear & concise recommendations that shape how product teams think about short to long-term strategy
- Visualize data to communicate performance & impact of marketing programs & activities
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams & the company at-large by creating & distributing compelling, impactful reports & presentations.
- Work collaboratively within the research, data analytics, product management, marketing, design, & content writing team to assess larger user trends & determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3-7+ years in brand & advertising research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Experience working with UX teams, marketing teams & directing agencies/vendors to deliver results on positioning, message development & optimization, value proposition development & communication
- Expertise working with large-scale data in multi-method studies, conducting focus groups, survey design & analysis, competitive analysis, weighting, segmentations, & response effects
- Degree, preferably MA/MS/PhD in human behavior-related field such as Market Research, Business, Human-Computer Interaction, Economics, Political Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- Proficient in coding, writing queries in R, SQL, SPSS or Python
- Experience collecting & analyzing user behavior through unmoderated experiments (A/B testing), in-person studies, & remote studies
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, R, SPSS, Ethnio, Mode Analytics, Tableau) & familiarity with recruiting & analytics suites
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.