Company Description|Job Description
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, & economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure & reliable payments around the world, & is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, & be part of an inclusive & diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators & risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, & doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy & digital commerce to millions of unbanked & underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Director of Data Science is a lead Data Engineer role in the Central Europe, Middle East & Africa region (CEMEA) based out of Bangalore. We are looking for an expert with deep expertise in data warehousing & can build large-scale data processing systems by using the latest database technologies. This is a Pan-regional position & plays a critical role in enabling the data platforms through which Data Scientists, Analysts, & BI Users drive solutions for our Visa clients. Also, the role provides a bridge between our local end-users & our Visa Technology colleagues in San Francisco, influencing the development of our global data platforms whilst provisioning local tools & technologies as required. The Data Engineer takes responsibility for building & running data pipelines, designing our local data warehouse & data frameworks, & catering for different data presentation techniques.
- Design local modifications to our global data architecture, including new tools & technologies where necessary to meet regional use-cases
- Provide direction to the development of bespoke, client-specific data sandboxes
- Create & maintain optimal data pipeline architecture(s), based on our Global Technology Stack
- Identify, design, & implement internal process improvements to provide greater scalability to our existing client solutions
- Develop custom-built packages & glue code to support the needs of Data Scientists across the region
- Work with broader business stakeholders to assist clients & consultants with their data & infrastructure needs
Work with Visa's Global Technology team to leverage our existing architecture to best effect, whilst identifying new & complementary tools & technology that will better enable our local solutions; serve as key contact & subject matter expert in working with the Visa Technology functions around the world (both global & regional)
Design sandbox architecture
Provide SME support to the design & build of client-specific data sandboxes that may leverage the advantages of cloud technologies whilst ensuring strong security & privacy controls
Build data pipelines
Build & operate stable, scalable data pipelines that cleanse, structure & integrate data sets into accessible formats for Data Scientists & other end-users, ensuring that testing & monitoring functions are performed appropriately
Supporting external clients' data architecture
Provide Data Engineering expertise support to Visa's select top-level clients, advising on how to implement, acquire, & improve their existing & planned data solutions. Such solutions can involve complex data integration from various sources (from an internal data warehouse, applicable VisaNet transaction data or third-party data) within the constraints of the client's legal & regulatory limitations.
Implement for scale
Co-create & contribute to the design & deployment of scalable, high volume & real-time data solutions (dashboards, data feeds, & algorithms) running in production systems to ensure optimal functioning & sustainability of solutions built
Support Data Scientists
Provide advisory & hands-on support to Data Scientists by providing quality assurance to teams writing poor-quality data queries on our queue, & developing custom-built packages & glue code that take algorithms into production
Serve as subject matter expert
Provide support & advisory assistance to business stakeholders (client relationship managers, consultants, & other internal stakeholders) in framing potential use-cases, client engagements, & internal initiatives
- 8 - 10 years' application development & support experience.
- Deep knowledge of distributed data architecture, commonly-used BI tools, & approaches/packages deployed for machine learning build
- Experience creating production software/systems & a proven track record of identifying & resolving performance bottlenecks for production systems.
- Experience in machine learning algorithm design, feature engineering, validation, prediction, recommendation, & measurement.
- Experience with complex, high volume, multi-dimensional data, as well as machine learning models based on unstructured, structured, & streaming datasets.
- Good understanding of the Payments & Banking Industry including aspects such as consumer credit, consumer debit, prepaid, small business, commercial, co-branded & merchant
- Experience planning, organising, & managing multiple large projects with diverse cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate new techniques to solve business problems
- Demonstrated resource planning & delivery skills
- Post Graduate Degree in Information Technology
- Qualification in Computer Science or Engineering ideal.
- Certification in Hadoop (Cloudera or Hortonworks) & Apache Spark.
- Working knowledge of Hadoop ecosystem & associated technologies, e.g., Apache Spark, MLlib, GraphX, iPython, sci-kit, & Pandas
- Advanced experience in writing & optimizing efficient SQL queries & Python scripts; Scala & C++ experience is ideal
- Deliver results within committed scope, timeline & budget
- Very strong people/project management skills & experience
- Ability to travel within CEMEA on short notice
- Results-oriented with strong problem solving skills & demonstrated intellectual & analytical rigor
- Good business acumen with a track record in solving business problems through data-driven quantitative methodologies. Experience in payment, retail banking, or retail merchant industries is preferred
- Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, & flexible style
- Very detailed oriented, is expected to ensure highest level of quality/rigor in reports & data analysis
- Proven skills in translating analytics output to actionable recommendations & delivery
- Experience in presenting ideas & analysis to stakeholders whilst tailoring data-driven results to various audience levels
- Exhibits intellectual curiosity & a desire for continuous learning
- Exhibits intellectual curiosity & a desire for continuous learning
- Demonstrates integrity, maturity & a constructive approach to business challenges
- Role model for the organization & implementing core Visa Values
- Respect for the Individuals at all levels in the workplace
- Strive for Excellence & extraordinary results
- Use sound insights & judgments to make informed decisions in line with business strategy & needs
- Leadership skills include an ability to allocate tasks & resources across multiple lines of businesses & geographies. Leadership extends to ability to influence senior management within & outside Analytics groups
- Ability to successfully persuade/influence internal stakeholders for building best-in-class solutions
- Change management leadership