Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring an Operations Engineer to join our Insurance Operations team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
As the Insurance Operations tactical solutions engineering team, Systems & Platforms, we build technical pipelines to automate insurance processes. We also develop new or enhance existing tools & features to be used by Insurance Ops that improve the way they work, & prototyping & integrating with engineering services.
You will develop data & technical solutions with a focus on creating efficiency & scale through technology & automation of Oscar's infrastructure & underlying logic for core insurance functions. You will understand Oscar's infrastructure, underlying logic, & data models, & work on requirements that support our needs. You will Identify opportunities for technology enablement, & apply technical expertise to design, & implementation of solutions to address operational challenges across the core insurance functions.
You will report to the Senior Manager, Insurance Operations.
- You will run the development to production lifecycle for solutions that support operational improvement projects, working to implement & improve efficacy & efficiency of existing operational processes or unlock new capabilities
- You will consult & cross collaborate on iterative problem definition & technical design/scoping to build solutions to improve the efficacy & efficiency of existing operational processes or unlock new capabilities
- You will understand the operations ecosystem, technology & data models & its current strengths, weaknesses, & gaps.
- You will communicate assumptions & technical decisions through design docs, producing & maintaining documentation associated with their domain
- You will develop technical solutions in response to requirements from partners re: new product & market expansions, automated workflows to reduce manual work requirements, new/improved tooling, & data quality/integrity needs
- You will have knowledge of available development tools, infrastructure, frameworks & libraries & when to apply them; sought out by others for technical advice & input
- You will write correct, stable, modular code with some guidance; capable of delivery of production code
- You will understand potential failure scenarios & develop stable systems that are easy to maintain with guidance
- You will contribute to code review & design reviews within their domain
- You will catch, respond to & resolve issues/errors/escalations through investigation to produce insights for short/medium/long-term technology-enabled solutions
- You will partner with the Engineering & Data teams to structure & operationalize the next generation of health insurance operations; prototype & integrate with engineering or data services, pipelines, & models.
- You will support urgent operational needs through on-call rotation & identify & guide resolution of production issues
- A technical bachelor's degree or 4 years commensurate experience
- 3+ years experience in a technical role (QA analyst, PM, operations analyst, finance, consulting, or industrial engineering)
- 3+ years experience in coding (e.g. Python) And database language experience (e.g. SQL)
- Experience in analytics
- An academic & professional background in coding, math, statistics, or data science
- Knowledge management, training, or content development experience
- Experience working in dynamic environments, including startup experience
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.