Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox & its family of products requires knowledge up & down the stack, & extremely high standards for security & optimization. Beyond the browser, were developing AR/VR, IoT, & voice recognition products that respect & protect privacy.
Grow: Were dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust & responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, & provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration & clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: Were small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of usersultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
Privacy & security engineers at Mozilla are a vanguard for internet security & privacy. We embody the Mozilla manifesto principle that individuals' security & privacy are fundamental & cannot be treated as optional.
Firefox Front-End Engineers on the privacy & security engineering team build & maintain most user-facing features that protect the users of our flagship product, the Firefox browser. We work closely with platform engineers & designers in a cross-functional team that is focused on delivering easy-to-use tools for security & privacy as well as strong default protections. Our projects include the new Enhanced Tracking Protection, the Security & Certificate UI, Web Permissions & more.
We are a small team with a big impact that truly cares about protecting our users & the web as a global resource. We are maintainers of a platform & part of a worldwide community. We need your help to keep our mission alive.
As a junior engineer on our team, you will learn & receive feedback from mentors on the team as well as many other experienced browser engineers from teams all across the organization. We believe in putting people over code & growing others by passing ownership & responsibility.
- Work alongside other engineers of various specialties, UX Designers, Product Managers, User Researchers to develop innovative security features
- Build solid, efficient & well-tested engineering solutions to complex problems that directly impact user security & privacy
- Motivate yourself & manage your time to work well without close supervision
- Proactively communicate with your team members to give & receive help & convey your progress
- Gracefully give, receive & act on feedback & code reviews
- Interact with the Mozilla community to triage bug reports & help out volunteer contributors
Job Skill Requirements:
- An interest in web security & a desire to get familiar with all the technologies that make websites & browsers secure.
- Experience with version control systems (git or hg)
- Excellent written & oral communication skills with peers, management, & other teams
- Passion, drive, determination & a demeanor that encourages & elicits collaboration
- Ability to work productively with a geographically distributed team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
- Knowledge of web security fundamentals, such as mixed content, CSP or web permissions.
- Experience with C++, C or Rust
- Experience with open source software projects & communities
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, were serving humanityby maintaining a safe, open internetwhile also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal & professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, & a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn & grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, & each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, & our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds & with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance & put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto & Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents & up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware & software of your choice
- Wellness programswe reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child & elder care, mental wellness, & personal enrichment
A lot of companies say theyre mission-driven. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, & welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors & collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporations staff designs, builds, & distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product the Firefox browser has expanded into a family of products that protects users & alerts them of risks. Mozillas Emerging Technologies group incubated & sponsors Rust Stack Overflows most loved programming language for the last four years & is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, & voice recognition.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.