Vox Media is the leading independent modern media company. Known for building the best media brands & the technology that enables them, we are committed to building a better future for the industry & getting the future of media right. Vox Medias editorial networks include Vox, The Verge, SB Nation, Eater, Polygon, Recode, & Curbed. Our diverse storytelling & advertising businesses include the Concert publisher-led marketplace, the Vox Creative brand studio, the Chorus publishing platform, & the companys entertainment division Vox Media Studios, which includes the Vox Media Podcast Network & Epic.
Recode is launching a first-of-its kind, thrice-weekly podcast to explain the most important tech news of the week. Grounded in Recodes personality & authority, the show will deliver in-depth stories on how technology is changing everything. We simply can no longer escape the future hurtling toward us, which is why understanding the technologies shaping our lives & the companies creating & profiting off them is fundamental to understanding the world we live in & the way we live in it.
Our audio engineer will be responsible for delivering shows & stories of the highest audio quality to our listeners: overseeing recording sessions, tape cleanup & editing, mixing & mastering.
If youre the right person for the role, you have considerable experience working with a variety of audio formats. You can quickly & expertly edit two-way conversations, or mix more complex segments with clips, narration, field tape, ambi & music. You have hands-on experience with narrative storytelling productions: you're well-versed in using sound design & music to elevate a story, & can work with production teams to identify & integrate the best quality tape.
You can work under deadline pressure without compromising high production standards. You are a detail-oriented person who can confidently deliver a polished final mix. We use ProTools, but proficiency with a variety of recording & mixing technologies is preferred for this role. You should know how to mix to a loudness that meets industry standards, & have experience with audio tools ranging from microphones & portable recorders to plug-ins for EQ, compression, de-noising, etc.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, & obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person not the right rsum. We encourage those with diverse & nontraditional experience to apply.
This is a full-time position based in New York.
What youll do:
- Facilitate recordings of Vox podcasts
- Cut & master two-ways & panel conversations of our upcoming new tech news show
- Assist producers in obtaining field tape/ambi
- Deliver high-quality multi-track mixes
- Assist in booking studio sessions
- Upload & publish selected Vox podcasts
- Perform associated administrative duties as needed
- Find & edit clips from audio soundbite services as needed
What youll bring:
- At least 5 years experience working as an engineer in a variety of podcast/broadcast formats
- Command of studio & post-production tasks including recording, tape editing, sound design & mixing/mastering
- Demonstrated skills in editing narrative audio productions or film/TV documentary sound mixing
- Fluency working in ProTools
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment & remain composed & productive under deadline pressure
- Ability to take direction & work independently within a collaborative, team environment
- Incredible attention to detail
- Familiarity with control rooms & digital consoles, specifically Yamaha boards
- Experience with live show recording a plus
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.