Over half a billion videos are watched across millions of websites on a JW Player video player every day. The Data Team at JW Player is responsible for processing the associated 3+ TB stream of data every day, extracting signals & building valuable products for media publishers & viewers.
JW Players Data Discovery team is looking for a Software Engineer to design, build, & maintain our next-generation search & recommendations engagement products. Powered by an AWS stack with both realtime & batch data processing, our services operate on a massive scale & have a large impact on our business.
In this role you will:
- Maintain & develop a high-volume delivery API for playlists & recommendations.
- Build data-oriented products to provide our publishers with thoughtful analytics to better understand their audience & useful levers to increase viewer engagement.
- Collaborate with our Data Science team by productionizing machine learning models to extract video metadata, such as best thumbnails for videos.
- Use streaming technology for data enrichment, model training & database synchronization.
- Improve the Discovery teams infrastructure & tooling around deployments, testing, monitoring & container orchestration.
- 3+ years relevant experience writing production code in Java or Python.
- Experience working with distributed system technologies that address Big Data.
- Knowledge of some of the following & a willingness to learn the others: Elasticsearch, Kafka, Postgres/MySQL.
- Experience with continuous integration & deployment of microservices. We use technology like Buildkite, Kubernetes, & Docker to build & deploy our services.
- Excited about scale. When you build a data pipeline, you are confident it will work just as well in a dev environment as it will in a production environment with 1000x the amount of data.
- Experience working in a Cloud environment, ideally AWS. You will work closely with the DevOps team to define infrastructure & tooling to support the data engineering efforts. True collaboration comes from mutual understanding & an open sharing of ideas.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience.
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago & continues to innovate as the worlds largest network-independent platform for video delivery & intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, & Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types & sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver & monetize their content across all devices. JW Players massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights & generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London & Eindhoven, & was named to Deloittes Technology Fast 500 in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.