Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
About the Role
As a People Operations Manager at Cockroach Labs, you will help foster & create programs to support our unique culture. We're looking for an HR expert who can balance the need to be a strategic partner along with the ability to be hands-on with all elements of the employee experience. Creating a compelling, engaging, & meaningful experience for all employees, you will shape how our organization scales by thinking creatively, using data to inform your decisions, improving & creating current processes. At Cockroach Labs, you will take on any challenges that come your way so we can do even greater things, together.
- Create, execute, & manage HR procedures & programs that employees experience throughout the employee lifecycle (benefits, transfers, performance management, & leaves of absence).
- Provide leadership & support to managers & employees in the areas of performance counseling, employee retention, policy interpretation & implementation, conflict resolution, & integrating our culture into our HR programs.
- Design & execute company-wide performance management programs, feedback, promotion, & compensation cycles, as well as other critical people programs.
- Partner with the People team to think creatively about the employee experience - finding ways to improve every employee interaction.
- Oversee benefits administration & payroll via our PEO, the immigration & visa process in partnership with our external legal counsel, HRIS & vendor management.
- Ensure compliance & be the in-house expert on all employment law related matters. Maintains compliance with federal & state regulations concerning employment.
- Own people operations systems roadmap & self-service strategy to support long-term & service delivery goals, & ensure the highest levels of data management & accuracy for all HR Systems.
In your first 30 days, you will assess where we're with our people programs & where we need to be. You will review our current programs, systems, & data so you can gain insight into where we currently are. You will meet across the team with our employees & leadership to build relationships that will help you better understand our needs. It is imperative that you take this time, so you have an understanding of what our people value.
In your first 60 days, you will start expanding your relationships with our external partners, like our PEO & immigration counsel. You will also begin auditing our processes & look for areas to improve our programs. At this time, you will start making improvements & identifying additional needs within our organization.
After 3 months, you will be integrated into the team. You will have taken ownership of your role & started working directly with department heads supporting their needs. You will also partner with our Employee Experience & Programs Manager to ensure the employee experience is comprehensive & addressing the needs of our people as we scale.
- Expert knowledge & understanding of employee relations & benefits administration, including EEO, FLSA, FMLA & CFRA, ADA, Workers Compensation, COBRA.
- Strong experience designing & implementing scalable HR programs, processes, & systems in technology companies.
- Interest in process improvement with a passion for finding ways to improve processes.
- Solid communication (verbal & written), interpersonal, & organizations skills with the ability to multitask & prioritize.
- The ability to influence, engage, & partner closely with appropriate business partners across all levels of the organization in planning, change management, & conflict resolution.
- Comfort with ambiguity, finding solutions, building, & action.
- 6+ years of progressive experience in Human Resources/People Operations required.
- 3+ years of experience working with technology companies with a preference for experience in a fast-growing company.
- BS/BA degree
Reporting to Lindsay Grenawalt - Chief People Officer
Lindsay focuses on attracting, developing, & retaining the best possible talent for Cockroach Labs. She was first exposed to the world of startups at Google Ventures then moving to Yext as the VP of People Operations, where she was responsible for growing the company from 150 to over 400 employees across the United States, the Netherlands, & the UK. When she is not at work, you can find her exploring the culinary delights of New York & attempting to recreate them at home.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.