Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
Foursquares flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact & drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest & real-world behavior patterns (Places & Visits), & tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification & visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the team:
Foursquares Developer API team is interested in hiring an experienced software engineer to work on our foundational machine learning technologies. The engineer who fills this role will support & improve our place search functionality, which allows developers & users to find & search for relevant POI. In this role, you will be working on a key technology at the foundation of Foursquares business & will be in a position to make an outsized impact on the direction & success of Foursquares developer products.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Design & write software in our machine learning pipeline, review the code & designs of teammates
- Recommend & implement improvements to our machine learning systems, including new modeling approaches, infrastructure, & featurization change
- Conduct hands-on analyses of our data at all stages, from raw inputs to the final outputs, to drive hypothesis generation & performance measurement
- Mentor more junior data scientists & software engineers
- Communicate technical concepts with clarity to non-technical stakeholders
- 4+ years experience as a software engineer
- Professional experience with Hadoop MapReduce or Spark
- Strong coding skills in Scala, Python, and/or Java
- A demonstrated track record of putting machine learning solutions into production big data pipelines
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with ranking, search, or autocomplete problems
- Experience with ElasticSearch
Perks & benefits:
- Learning & development programs from individual contributors to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.