Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Business Strategy & Operations Team
The Business Strategy & Operations at Thumbtack is responsible for driving alignment on commercial strategy at the intersection of Sales, Marketing, Product & Partnerships. Biz Ops is often tasked with helping lead complex cross-functional initiatives & we frequently take ownership of key work streams such as creating business plans, reporting & internal/external communications. We also identify & prioritize innovative new services & products, develop proofs of concept & then bring them to market. Because of our flexible project-based staffing model, we are able to pivot our focus quickly towards the companys most critical needs.
About the Role
As an Associate Consultant (BizOps Associate), you will be responsible for providing a wide range of strategic, analytical, & operational support to Operations & Product teams at Thumbtack. You will help grow Thumbtacks short & long term revenue growth by executing critical operational processes, by conducting user & competitive research & by performing data analysis to guide our commercial offerings. You will ensure that data & reporting are available to make sure Thumbtacks most innovative teams & projects are pacing towards their goals. You will lead efforts to craft scalable solutions for automation of processes, dashboards & business insights. As you gain experience you will lead cross-functional projects, & the identification of new business opportunities for Thumbtack to pursue.
You are an individual with superb communication & analytical skills who can successfully pivot between multiple projects & operational roles. You can use data to tell a compelling story & enable the decision-making process. You work well with contributors from other functional areas to deliver complex solutions in a timely manner.
- Execute & improve key processes such as dashboarding & performance management in support of key Biz Ops initiatives
- Develop key performance indicators with leadership for multiple Business Strategy & Operations initiatives, then produce automated reports to track results
- Make practical recommendations that drive increased performance of Operations teams by gathering feedback & analyzing data
- Collaborate with cross functional partners to create alignment on strategy & operations at the intersection of Sales, Marketing, Account Management, & Product
- Conduct research & market sizing to support evaluation & prioritization of new business opportunities
- Coordinate with Operations Analytics & Business Applications to ensure our internal systems capture necessary data
Must have Qualifications
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2-4 years of experience working in a relevant field such as consulting, investment banking, or internal strategy and/or business operations experience at a technology company
- Experience with (or a willingness to learn) analytical tools such as SQL or Excel
- Ability to identify opportunities from data & recommend decisions
- Proven track record of collaborating cross-functionally & communicating effectively with internal stakeholders across multiple levels of seniority
- Ability to independently prioritize among multiple projects & contribute to multiple workstreams
- Comfort with adapting & adjusting to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, & rapid change
- Passion for Thumbtacks mission to help everyone do lifes work with joy & purpose
Nice to have Qualifications
- Excellence with SQL & the Microsoft/Google suites (Sheets, Presentations, etc.)
- Experience working in a high-growth online marketplace company
- Experience working with Marketing, Sales, or Account Management teams
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.