Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients & suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3BN from investors that include Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, DST & Softbank.
With 1,500+ employees in three continents, our team is as global as our client base & were excited to continue building a product & service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, youre guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, & resourceful team members.
The Legal department has grown alongside the business & we're looking for the next addition to our legal team -- a great lawyer who will support our global brand, marketing & communications teams as well as be the primary legal business partner to our flexport.org team in its sustainability & international humanitarian relief efforts.
As Commercial Counsel, youll join a small & mighty global team & report to the Head of the US Commercial Legal Team. You will partner with executives & senior business leaders to ensure the Companys compliance with all applicable regulations in its marketing, brand, & outbound sales strategy, as well as all applicable legal & regulatory issues as we expand our sustainability & humanitarian efforts.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills, & the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal & business teams.
- Support Flexports Marketing Team in its global marketing strategy
- Advise on marketing & advertising compliance in the US; liaise with Europe & Asia legal team as necessary to ensure consistency of legal advice provided to brand, marketing, PR, & communications team enterprise-wide
- Advise the global marketing team in legal & regulatory issues for advertising & promotional initiatives
- Advise clients in structuring complex commercial transactions, including partnership agreements & a broad range of agreements in support of the marketing teams & flexport.org teams
- Advise teams on international contests & sweepstakes
- Advise sales teams on compliance with regulations for all outbound sales efforts, including TCPA & CASL; & liaising with the Asia & Europe legal teams as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable laws in those jurisdictions
- Provide legal review of marketing content for internal & external audiences, & partner with the marketing team to design & implement scalable processes for legal review of marketing content across all channels -- website, social media, press releases, product announcements, events, sales collateral & more
- Support & coach marketing team in drafting, negotiating & review of commercial agreements entered into with third party vendors that support the Companys marketing strategy
- Draft, negotiate & review various types of agreements for a multitude of business teams across the Company with a focus on IT & data privacy contracts (third party vendor & service provider agreements, statements of work, & master service agreements)
- Advise a multitude of business teams on risk, negotiating points & agreement structures
- Serve as a trusted advisor & business partner across the company by providing counsel & guidance for accomplishing Flexports overall business objectives
- Work closely with our internal product, business & compliance teams, as well as with external advisors & experts
- Manage projects effectively with a team-oriented approach
- Co-develop standard operating procedures, templates & policies for the Legal Department & the sales, marketing, & growth teams
- Proactively identify opportunities for improving processes in Flexports legal operations, as we continue to scale through incredible growth
You should have:
- JD & bar admission to practice
- 3+ years of professional experience
- In-house experience supporting sales, commercial and/or marketing teams
- Experience managing a team is a plus
- Practical experience & solid knowledge of commercial & contract law
- The substantive experience & know-how of handling privacy & data protection topics in & out of the commercial contract context
- A passion for closing deals
- The ability to work on your own & prioritize multiple, often competing for deliverables while managing expectations meeting deadlines
- The ability to work quickly & carefully to meet aggressive turnaround times
- Outstanding interpersonal skills & the ability to coordinate effectively & gain trust & confidence with personnel at many different levels
- Ability to work as a team member of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous & accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across Company marketing strategies globally, various deal types & time zones
- Excellent communication skills to interact with both internal departments & external business clients while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, & thorough manner
We believe trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers & their logistics partners with the technology & services to grow & innovate. Today, companies of all sizesfrom emerging brands to Fortune 500suse Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Dont be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. Thats why its important to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.