Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies & APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing & other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, & has experienced explosive growth to date. Were backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
Bread has a talented & driven engineering team. We have difficult problems to solve up & down the stack, from providing a seamless user experience that works on hundreds of merchants' websites in the most critical part of their flow, to making real time credit decisions to scaling to support millions of dollars in transactions per day in a system that is being used around the clock. Our engineering team is seasoned, talented, agile, & quickly growing.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our product engineering team. This engineer will be a partner to the Senior Director of Engineering & CTO & will guide the technical approach & strategy of Bread's engineering team.
Your role at Bread:
- Mentor & be a resource for every member of the team
- Design, Lead, Implement, & Ship new product features & architectural frameworks
- Partner with senior engineering leadership to review & curate all aspects of our technical architecture & approach, from the code base to the database, to infrastructure, to our development process
- Be involved in significant technical decisions
- Design & Develop strategies for scaling Bread's platform to support billions of dollars in transactions
- Write tools & introduce approaches & frameworks that will ensure the team continues to get faster over time
What we are looking for:
- Expertise building scalable & reliable distributed systems on time
- Something to offer every member of the team & a passion for sharing & collaboration. You're happiest when you're in front of a whiteboard working out a problem with your colleagues.
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages & data stores (our system is built with Go & PostgreSQL, but were also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; or C++)
- Experience with cloud deployments (AWS, k8s, docker, EKS, CI/CD)
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for the craft of engineering
- A passion for enabling team successes
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in 20% time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, & Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan & own their roadmap & implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups & over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!