At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
Cloudflares Engineering Team builds & runs the software that handles about 10% of HTTP requests on the Internet today. We also build & run the internal tools that build & run our software. The Engineering Team is split into two groups: one handles product development & the other handles operations. Product development covers both new features & functionality & scaling our existing software to meet the challenges of a massively growing customer base. The operations team handles one of the worlds largest networks with data centers in 102 cities worldwide.
About the Role
Cloudflare is a system spanning the globe, on a mission to make the internet better, safer, & more powerful everyday. As one of the engineers working on the Cloudflare Edge, youll work on the code that runs closest to the end user & is deployed into 150+ cities around the world.
Examples of software systems at our Edge include:
- A TLS/HTTP proxy to make the connection from eyeball to edge as fast & secure as possible.
- Filtering malicious traffic & handling good traffic according to customer configuration.
- Content optimisation that takes content served from customer sites & makes it more performant
- A platform that runs serverless Workers & provides a key value store
- A reverse-proxy system that caches customer website content according to customer configuration.
- Optimization of connections from Cloudflare to our customers' origin servers to reduce their load & increase performance.
- Our Authoritative DNS server & our public resolver 188.8.131.52.
Your code will impact upwards of 2.8 billion people/month, as well over 10% of all internet connections which pass through our servers. We operate some of the fastest services on the Internet. Your work will focus on building robust, secure, & high performance distributed systems. We are a small engineering team operating at massive scale, so what you do will have huge influence.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- Understand how the internet works at a protocol level, including the differences between what the specs say, & what actually happens on the internet
- Confidence to work in multiple programming languages - could include C, Go, Rust, Python, Lua & even PHP.
- Experience (and love) for debugging to ensure the system works in all cases
- Strong systems level programming skills
- Excited by the idea of optimizing complex solutions to general problems that all websites face
- Experience with a continuous integration workflow & using source control (we use git)
- Good Unix knowledge, patches to Operating Systems a huge plus for some roles
- Understanding of security issues & responsibilities
- Experience with monitoring, alerting & debugging high volume production systems
- Fluent in analyses of data sets such as logs
- Designing & building APIs
- Great oral & written communications skills.
- Desire to learn & improve
- Willing & eager to share knowledge, & mentor
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities & effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.