Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through co-living & traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management & technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 30 buildings & 6 cities. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & convenient living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate buildings in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-starters, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves & has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Property Manager to look after three buildings in Hampton, VA. You will work closely with HQ to deliver great experiences for our members throughout their stay. The role is extremely varied, & in addition to looking after building systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical) you will be required to troubleshoot problems unique to our business model (e.g providing feedback to our centralized call center about lead quality). Successful candidates will be extremely comfortable interacting with our members on a regular basis & take pride in delivering excellent service. This role reports to our VP of Platform.
- Manage & oversee all aspects of our Hampton Roads portfolio of properties
- Ensure property technicians are prioritizing & managing maintenance requests
- Ongoing management of a staff of Maintenance Superintendents, Maintenance Technicians, & Leasing Agents as well as an army of third party trade partners dedicated to keeping these buildings in top condition
- Implement preventative maintenance plan to ensure all building systems are well maintained & conform to building code & other regulations
- Oversee service supervisors who troubleshoot, analyze, & perform routine maintenance on facilities & equipment
- Conduct regular inspections of facilities & equipment to ensure proper operation
- Schedule, oversee, & assist assigned contractors ensuring the safety, quality, & cleanliness of work performed
- Schedule & supervise contractors at the property
- Provide & maintain accurate record-keeping of all maintenance requests
- Maintain & manage all documents to ensure we are compliant with local law
- Manage common stock & assets, moving them between buildings where necessary
- Help suggest improvements & fixes to make our property management process run even smoother
- Other ad hoc projects from time to time
- 5 - 7 years of residential maintenance experience working in a position maintaining medium to large buildings including plumbing, mechanical, electrical, & HVAC
- General knowledge of Section 8 procedures
- Good understanding of the nuances of local property regulations
- Working knowledge of HVAC, plumbing & electrical systems. You won't be required to fix every problem but you will need to be able to diagnose them & know who to call
- Valid drivers license & vehicle
- Comfortable with technology - you use software applications to manage your time & interact with others. You are comfortable using software in a property management context
- Experience with leasing & taking over a building
- Previous roles should have included some management of facility staff
- Scrappy & resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a can do attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity paid holidays, weekly team lunches, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.