THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, & for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of food enthusiasts are inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity & passion, always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, & put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers lives, cooking & creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHOS IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Apron is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded & self-motivated attorney to serve as the Legal teams primary advisor on regulatory affairs & compliance, with the primary focus on food regulatory matters. The ideal candidate has 5-8 years of proven regulatory experience in the food industry, as well as general government affairs experience.
This position will provide day-to-day support for teams across the business, with a focus on food regulatory compliance, general legislative & government affairs, food safety, advertising & marketing, & a wide array of other commercial & regulatory issues that arise from the operation of a complex, fast-paced e-commerce organization. The role will interface with key stakeholders of the Blue Apron business team to manage, negotiate & execute on a broad range of regulatory, commercial & operational initiatives & and strategic priorities. This position is based in New York City.
WHATS ON THE MENU
- Overseeing & advising on all federal, state & local regulatory & compliance matters related to operating a multi-site e-commerce food & wine business, including compliance with Food & Drug Administration (FDA) & other federal, state & local laws & regulations, regulatory filings, inspections, & permitting & licensing requirements, in close collaboration with Senior Director of Regulatory Affairs, General Counsel, & other members of the Legal team.
- Reviewing & approving promotional, advertising & marketing materials, including websites, social media, print & digital advertising, & other marketing & promotional materials (including sweepstakes & contests) to ensure compliance with legal & regulatory requirements.
- Overseeing the enforcement of regulatory guidelines, strategies, & policies related to the business, including overseeing regulatory compliance on the wine business (including directing outside counsel).
- Monitoring & assessing pertinent regulatory developments & enforcement trends & advising on potential business impact.
- Supporting the Customer Experience team in managing customer inquiries & communications.
- Supporting the Quick Response Team to execute responses to product recalls or other regulatory inquiries.
- Counseling senior management & business teams on new or pending legislation, laws, rules & regulations & industry trends that may impact operations or food production.
- Support environmental & other government regulation compliance of Blue Aprons fulfillment centers.
- Leading or assisting the Legal teams efforts in the preparation, implementation & refinement of appropriate forms, processes, policies & procedures with respect to various initiatives, including promotional review, regulatory outreach.
- Building close relationships with personnel at supported business operations & obtaining & maintaining a strong knowledge of the products & objectives of those operations.
- Managing & working with outside counsel as appropriate.
- Conducting periodic employee training on relevant matters.
- Engaging in or leading various other Legal projects & duties as needed, including due diligence & related support on strategic transactions, supporting commercial matters including agreements for promotional services, vendor, production, confidentiality, & other agreements.
- Providing substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed.
Education & Experience
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials & 5-8 years of relevant experience, including experience in private practice as a food regulatory attorney & preferably time spent in-house at a food company in roles of increasing responsibility.
- Extensive experience with legal & regulatory issues within the food industry is a must, & having experience with wine regulations & other government affairs matters is preferred.
- Experience interacting directly with the FDA, USDA and/or other federal or local food regulatory agencies is a significant plus.
- Must be admitted, active & in good standing with a state bar & registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State of New York. Familiarity with & working knowledge of food regulatory matters in the State of California, specifically CDFA & CA Prop 65 also required.
Interpersonal Skills & Competencies
The successful candidate must:
- Be passionate about food, wine & technology & energized by the challenges of serving a young, dynamic company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches his or her IQ, & the ability to collaborate & engage effectively with all levels of employees, management & commercial business partners
- Have excellent communication (written & verbal) & interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient & resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical & have exceptional business & legal issue identification & problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving & be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise & commercial advice, & creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong & astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, can do attitude to the workplace & works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team & with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands & shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business & new areas of law & to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter & have a passion for results
SUBMIT: Please submit a resume, as well as a cover letter explaining your reasons for pursuing this opportunity & why you are the right candidate for this role & Blue Apron.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.