Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced Content Strategist to work with our team to drive the execution of campaigns projects across email, social, & other digital channels.
The ideal candidate will primarily have experience planning, writing, & editing content & can advise on strategic distribution across web, email, & social. They will have experience managing social media properties with large followings, including creating & updating content calendars, & assisting with the technical integration to create a strategic & engaging content experience.
The ideal Content Strategist candidate will have experience managing large email lists, & with writing, staging, & sending email, including segmentation, testing, & reporting.
They will have demonstrated the ability to solve complex problems & oversee multiple moving pieces in a fast-paced & creative client service environment.
This is a contract-based position with a duration of 3 months, & possibility of conversion to full time employment based on a number of factors, including performance. Once converted, this role will be offered at the Associate Manager tier with a salary range of $63,000 - $75,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
The role reports to a mid-to-senior Strategy Team Member & is based in Purpose's New York headquarters. Candidates who can begin immediately are strongly encouraged to apply. This role will be remote for the next few months, until it is safe to go back to normal office operations.
The Content Strategist will join Purposes Campaigns team, working on digital campaign execution across a range of client-service & funder-driven projects. As the Content Strategist, you will:
- Write, plan, & execute content strategies across social, web & email. Work with project teams to help identify rapid-response campaign opportunities based on whats happening in todays news cycle
- Work with our Strategy & Campaigns team to develop campaign strategies aimed at mobilizing target audiences to participate in creating meaningful social change
- Work with our Creative team on developing campaign opportunities, & to co-develop compelling creative campaign concepts
- Participate in brainstorms to develop creative content ideas for short films, websites & digital experiences, that compliment on-the-ground activations
- Write, route, A/B test, segment, code, & send campaign emails to client & partner email lists
- Develop content calendars, & write individual posts, for client & partner social media properties in support of our campaigns
- You enjoy solving complex problems in developing opportunities, ideas, & solutions
- You can communicate your perspective clearly & convincingly, verbally & in writing
- You carry high personal integrity, with commitment to creating progressive change in the world
- You are a storyteller & strategic thinker & have a good understanding of nonprofit & advocacy communications
- You understand the intersection of online & offline organizing, mobilization, & direct action
- You have knowledge & experience in the execution of best practices in email marketing and/or social media management
- You have 5+ years of combined email & social media experience
- You can balance & integrate feedback from multiple sources, including project leaders & cross-functional colleagues, & clients
- You are a talented writer, especially in email & social media formats
- You have a track record of having successfully managed large email lists and/or social media followings
- Basic knowledge of Wordpress & Github
- Ideal candidates will also have experience with paid media & placement, testing, & optimization of paid social campaigns, but this is not a requirement.
- You are a skilled writer & able to adjust to multiple style guides & sender/brand voices
- You have the right to work in the US,
- You are familiar with digital campaigning & movement-building, and/or issue areas of strong relevance to Purposes mission
- You have high integrity, a high bar for quality & rigor, a hands-on attitude, & proactivity
- You are committed to building an equitable, diverse, & inclusive workplace
- You are excited to work with a diverse team & international team members
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.