Care/of (takecareof.com) is a fast-growing, venture-backed wellness startup. We make it easier & more enjoyable to shop for vitamins (and maybe even a little fun, too). Our technology makes it possible for people to get custom vitamin recommendations based on their diets & health goals, which we deliver in convenient daily packs with a touch of joy. We aim to help people feel empowered to make the right choices for their health by being transparent about the research backing up our recommendations & the quality of our products. Care/of launched in 2016 & is based in New York City. (And we're excited to meet you.)
About the job
Our mission is to use personalization, technology, & delight to build the most impactful health & wellness brand of our generation. Our engineering team is responsible for doing exactly thatwith the byproduct of building an ecosystem of integrated digital & physical products that aim to help people take control of their wellness & live healthier lives. Our current suite of digital products includes a personalized recommendation engine, an iOS vitamin tracking & gamified rewards experience, machine automation & personalized printing software at our warehouse, a subscription ecommerce back-end, & much more.
As Head of Engineering, you will help us become a trusted digital health advisor for millions of people. You will help us scale our existing consumer-facing & warehouse-facing infrastructure, while also ensuring that we keep the connective tissue between our digital & physical products intact. Within the next 18 months, you will have the exciting challenge of scaling our engineering team 3x while preserving the intimate team feeling that makes it so special today. The right person for this job has ideally led an engineering organization through this type of growth before & is excited to apply those learnings at a mission-driven company that values technology & data.
- Lead, mentor, & inspire a team of highly driven & capable engineers
- Sustain our current levels of exceptionally high engagement through thoughtful coaching, career development, & creating a culture of constant learning
- Provide guidance on architectural decisions to uphold a standard of high technical excellence
- Set long-term strategy & direction for engineering organization
- Partner with leaders across the organization to ensure we maintain a tight, collaborative culture
- Serve as a leader within Care/of & model our core values
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with several of those years in managing teams
- Significant experience building, managing, & motivating engineering organizations, ideally of 25+ people
- Strong understanding of how to design an effective engineering organization & its workstreams
- Experience with full lifecycle of software development in consumer-facing web or mobile applications
- Has empathy for the value of continuous deployment & long-term stability