First Look Media & Topic Studios is seeking a Director, Original Series to join the team in Los Angeles, reporting to SVP, Original Series, Topic Studios. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, passionate about premium scripted content development & production, & able to work well in a team & independently. They will have great relationships in the creative community & the industry, ideally with agencies, management companies, & buyers. And they will have proven development & production experience in streaming, cable & broadcast television content with a strong knack for identifying & nurturing creative talent. This position will work closely with the SVP to build a slate to bring to market & solidify the Topic Studios brand.
- Identify writers, directors & talent for premium television content.
- Identify TV formats, books, articles, podcasts, documentaries, & other source material for on-going development.
- Oversee scripted development grid & day-to-day progress on projects.
- Attend general & pitch meetings with creators (writer, director, talent, producers).
- Work closely with creators to develop story, formats, pitches & scripts.
- Write up notes for development meetings & calls with creators.
- Work closely with the SVP to determine selling strategy for development projects
- Attend pitch meetings with buyers, & track buyers feedback & interest.
- Write up notes on script drafts, production dailies & studio cuts.
- Serve as a studio liaison between Topic Studios other First Look entities (The Intercept, Field of Vision, Topics soon to launch SVOD platform)
- Forge & maintain relationships with agents, managers, producers & executives at distribution/platform partners.
Background & Qualifications:
- College degree. Related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience.
- General understanding of the domestic & international TV marketplace.
- Strong relationships with agencies, management companies, production companies & distribution/platform partners.
- Knowledge of scripted television series & formats (past & present).
- Avid reader with premium/commercial taste & the ability to identify stories/voices with the potential to connect with audiences.
- Ability to source IP in all its forms & determine which are primed for development into premium scripted series.
- Ability to generate creative ideas & elements to enhance projects.
- Strategic mindset vis a vis setting up projects that meet a platforms expressed need, brand & audience profile.
- Excellent communication skills verbal, non-verbal & written.
- Must be a team player.
- Ability to multi-task, organize & schedule work effectively.
About Topic Studios
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winningfilms (Spotlight) to television, audio & documentaries, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues ofour time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism anddocumentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First LookMedia was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, & the soon to launch Topic SVOD service, & plans to continue expandingits mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technologyhelping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so were committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.