Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid?
Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity & play? If you are motivated & you possess leadership experience- both on & off the playground we want you to put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform childrens physical & emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,000 schools in 23 U.S. cities, & reaches 1 million students directly & through professional training services. Our strategic goal is to ensure that 3.5 million children in 7,000 schools experience safe & healthy play every day by December 2020. This year, Playworks New York/New Jersey is serving more than 100,000 students at more than 200 schools across the Tri-State area in Newark, Jersey City, New York City, Buffalo & Rochester every school day. For more information please visit our website: www.playworks.org.
As a Playworks Intern, you will expand & ignite engagement of Playworks constituents online, increase visibility in the community & highlight stories about Playworks people schools & partners. This position will support the Playworks national movement & AIM to provide safe & active play foreverykideveryday, while developing a sustainable & vibrant operation at the local level.
Here is where you come in:
Playworks New York / New Jersey (NYNJ) is seeking a self-motivated, outgoing, social media-addicted, creative, & eager individual to serve as our temporary regional social media associate. Playworks NYNJ is in growth mode, expanding to work with even more schools, districts & corporate partners, & this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to gain experience with a dynamic national organization & make a difference in local communities through your direct involvement with critical local campaigns & projects.
- Stay on top of best practices for social media & develop new social media strategies for the organization.
- Develop & post engaging content for Playworks NY/NJ across several social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram.
- Attend/highlight Playworks programming weekly; post photos to social media.
Videography & Photography
- Know how to shoot video & splice clips into top-notch, high-quality videos that can be used externally.
- Develop & manage a Playworks New York/New Jersey YouTube channel, including production of game illustration videos.
- Create Info graphics that are cutting-edge using free online programs.
- Know the basics of taking good photos & be comfortable in any situation.
Are you wondering if we are a good fit? You might wonder what Playworks is known for, whether you have the qualifications necessary & interning with us can give you the skills you need? Playworks has been creating safe & healthy play for over 20 years by partnering with school districts all over the U.S. as captured in our story HERE.
- Passion for play & youth development.
- Self-motivated, team oriented & reliable. Does not have to be asked twice or reminded about project deadlines.
- Highly organized with the capacity to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent verbal & written communication & editing skills.
- Flexible, & open to seeking advice & best practices.
- Comfortable in diverse settings, working with kids, including possible school visits.
- Familiarity with G Suite, SmugMug & social media platforms.
- Ability to project a professional & positive image of Playworks andmaintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities.
Skills & Benefits you will adopt as an Playworks employee:
- Positively impact a childs (or group of) life & future
- Learn from & directly participate in a fast-growing organization
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of non-profit program creation & management
- Network with professionals in the corporate, foundation, government & non-profit communities
- Obtain potential references for future career opportunities
- Depending on your interests & skills, you will also have opportunities to participate in other aspects of nonprofit work such as project management, community advocacy, social media/brand communications, development & event planning
- Have fun & work with an energized & impassioned team!
Compensation, Location & Schedule:
This is a temporary part-time position requiring 7-10 hours per week based in thePlayworks program office at 60 Park Place Suite 404 Newark, NJ, as well as in the field.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe & healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing & managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community & healthy play are the foundation of our organization & are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting & retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.