Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are hiring software engineers for the Test Engineering team to expand our investment in next generation test automation, bug finding & performance scaling. Note, this is not a QA/testing role; all of our engineers write tests & obsess about quality. The primary function of Test Engineering is to establish a very high quality standard.
Databases must keep going no matter what. We are software engineers on a mission to push our product to new frontiers. Our work has a broad-reaching impact on the engineering organization of over 100 engineers who rely on our tools & methodology to ship a top-notch quality product.
The work encompasses three primary focus areas: Test Infrastructure, Exploratory Testing, Performance & Scalability. Broadly speaking, Test Infrastructure enables automated test execution, detection of performance regressions, fuzzing & much more. Exploratory testing enables new bug finding techniques such as static & dynamic analysis, metamorphic testing, failure injection, & others. Performance & scalability enables at-scale benchmarking across all major cloud providers (e.g., see Cloud Report).
Some examples of projects:
- Differential cluster testing (e.g., cassandra-diff, Snowtrail)
- Failure injection testing (e.g., chaos-mesh, frisbee)
- Next generation of roachtest & roachperf
- Probabilistic concurrency testing (e.g., shuttle, ThreadFuzzer)
- Developing a static analysis framework for concurrency bugs
- Developing a DSL for replaying complex workloads
- Large-scale benchmarking & performance testing
- Automated flaky test detection & quarantining
The ideal candidate will have worked with massively complex codebases & possesses broad experience in distributed systems, cloud infrastructure, & automated testing.
- Develop test strategies & specifications
- Build & scale test infrastructure
- Build tools & frameworks (including from the ground up)
- Prioritize & execute test suites that are representative of customers workloads
- Build static & dynamic analyzers
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. Youll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflows, & architecture of CockroachDB & CockroachCloud. We believe that its essential for you to take the first month to get to know our technology & our company. Youll be given a starter project to help you learn about a particular area & start to get the lay of the land.
After your first month, you will align with the teams development objectives & you will own & complete a medium-sized project related to test automation.
By the end of the third month, you will be a fully-contributing member of the Test Engineering team. You will also have developed enough familiarity with our engineering processes to propose & scope future projects.
Desired experience level ranges from mid to staff level. At a minimum, this role requires:
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer writing clean, idiomatic code
- 1+ years of hands on experience with GCP or AWS
- Experience with one of the following: Automation Frameworks/Testing, Cloud Infrastructure, Continuous Integration, Test Design, Building static analyzers (e.g, we currently use GCP, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Packer)
- Exceptional communication skills with a collaborative mindset
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Reporting to Stan Rosenberg - Director of Engineering
Stan is an experienced engineering leader, having built & scaled high-performing engineering teams & distributed systems at high-tech startups. Prior, he worked as a software engineer & a researcher in formal methods. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stevens Institute of Technology. In his free time, he enjoys exploring outdoors while dreaming about days when software works as reliably as a bridge.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality & innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, & consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology & culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, & search NYC for cannolis with his wife & kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.