Brex is revolutionizing financial services for businesses, starting with corporate cards for startups. We are building the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features & a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms & industry veterans such as Peter Thiel & Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, & were looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board.
Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven & diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds. We are looking for people with a strong sense for exceptional products, a keen eye to detail, & comfort learning new technologies. Most importantly, were looking for people who are enthusiastic about working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, & needs.
The Legal & Compliance team makes critical decisions that impact both product development & company direction. Judgment, competence, empathy, ability to collaborate within & across functions, & a good sense of humor are essential to the success of the team. Working in a fast-growing fintech startup also demands that we are solutions-oriented & are comfortable operating in a rapidly-changing environment.
As the Senior Product Counsel to support Brexs broker-dealer operations you will help accelerate the growth of our newest product, Brex Cash. You will work closely with business & product teams to guide strategy & build for scale. You should be creative & adaptable, with the ability to think on your toes, prioritize business risk, & give clear actionable legal advice.
What you will do:
- Be the primary legal counsel for Brexs broker-dealer, working closely with engineering & business teams to support broker-dealer operations & identify & scope new product opportunities
- Provide guidance on regulatory frameworks that apply to Brexs products, including the Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Gramm-Leach-Bliley & related broker-dealer statutes & regulations, FINRA & MSRB rules & regulations, Regulation T, broker-dealer financial responsibility regulations, & other federal & state financial services regulations & disclosure requirements
- Represent Brex with financial partners & regulators
- Draft agreements & negotiate deals with financial & technology partners to support product & go-to-market teams
- Stay up to date on developments in the financial services industry & fintech regulatory environment
- Ad-hoc projects as needed
What you will bring:
- 8+ years of experience in a combination of technology & traditional financial services companies or in a financial regulatory or transactional practice at a law firm; experience as a fintech product counsel is preferred
- Broker-dealer or registered investment advisor regulatory experience is required. Knowledge of rules & regulations governing cash management programs is a strong plus.
- Curiosity, drive, & an ability to come up with creative (and compliant) solutions to regulatory hurdles
- JD & admitted to practice in New York
- FINRA securities licenses (SIE, Series 7, Series 14, or Series 24) or experience working at FINRA or the SEC a plus