What we want you for
We are changing how health insurance works. We want to create a healthcare experience thats intuitive & puts people, not cost or workflows, first. Were using a consumer-focused & tech-driven approach to do so. This positions us uniquely in the space - & creates one of the biggest opportunities in healthcare.
We brought together leaders from top technology, service & healthcare companies to deliver on our promise & seize this opportunity. We all work side by side in a collaborative, energetic, & creative environment. The result: better people, better ideas, & better healthcare.
In this role, you will join our tight-knit finance team & work directly with the Senior Manager of Accounting & Assistant Controller. You will own pieces of our financial accounting work that enables our innovative financial model to succeed as we grow. We understand & value technology, so this can become a powerful part of your tool kit.
What is this position?
This position is responsible for building out the structure of accounting at Oscar including working with the accounting team to iterate on & improve the closing plan, building out the integration with the operational teams, & ad hoc projects to keep the company running smoothly. Consistent with our business plan, the position has a strong opportunity to expand responsibilities.
In the first three months you will:
- Get up-to-speed on our in-house insurance operations data infrastructure,
- Take on the existing process for recording Premiums & Claims in the monthly close,
- Establish a plan to improve the reconciliation process for insurance operations general ledger accounts, and
- Participate in key decision meetings with operations/data teams to build-out financial reporting for the future in-house insurance operations data infrastructure
On an ongoing basis you will:
- Continuously challenge current processes as the business evolves, to potentially implement improvements in procedures, processes & systems, and
- Identify areas in Accounting for operational efficiency & partner with our technology team to develop better/smarter processes
- Work cross functionally with the Eligibility & Billing Team as well as the claims team to build deeper insights & tighter integrity processes.
Who are you?
We are looking for a detail oriented accounting professional that thrives in a fast paced startup environment who is not afraid to speak up, thinks big but appreciates the importance of details.
Must have qualifications include:
- 2-3 years of experience at a Big 4 accounting firm or 4-5 years of experience in a fast paced environment
- BS degree in accounting or related field (CPA strongly preferred)
We think it will make a big (positive) difference if you have:
- Experience working with SQL
- Statutory Accounting Experience in Health, Life, or P&C insurance in the US
- Worked with current platforms: Netsuite, Concur, Bill.com, Tipalti, Workday
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.