About Daily Harvest
Daily Harvest makes nourishing food built on fruits & vegetables accessible. We do this by delivering thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted food to customers' doorsteps, all ready to enjoy in minutes. Were on a mission to take care of food, so food can take care of you.
Our team is collaborative, driven, & future-thinking. We're constantly learning, experimenting, & iterating, & celebrate failure just as much as success. We take risks, try new things, & we get things done. We love adaptogens & cruciferous vegetables but never say no to cake. Everything we do, we do in the service of our community.
Daily Harvest is looking for an R+D Scientist to help lead new product development, innovation & support optimization projects. The R&D Manager will lead a team responsible for new product development, collection expansion, product optimization. The R&D Manager will work closely with our Culinary & Nutrition team to commercialize healthful foods for every eating occasion. This position will interface closely with the Daily Harvest Sourcing team as well as the Manufacturing & the Commercialization/Innovation teams.
We are looking for someone who will bring relevant experience in formulation, specification development & a strong understanding of ingredient functionality. This role has a heavy emphasis on sauce development, non-dairy frozen dessert R&D, ingredient selection, & existing product optimization. The ideal candidate for this role possesses strong organizational & technical skills, & thrives in a fast-paced consumer-centric organization. If you are self-motivated, results-oriented, & have a passion for teamwork, we would love to hear from you. Accountability, integrity, attention to detail, the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, & being able to work independently are required for this position. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate that is interested in working at a groundbreaking direct to consumer business.
What you'll do:
- Lead end-to-end product development from bench top testing through to commercialization.
- Leverage a strong culinary background & apply scientific methods to develop delicious & robust product formulas.
- Manage a team of R&D Associates to ensure project key deliverables meet project timelines.
- Partner with the Culinary & Sourcing teams in the new ingredient selection process.
- Collaborate with the Quality & Food Safety teams on specification development for raw materials & finished goods.
- Provide direct guidance to the Innovation/Commercialization team to help prioritize product enhancement initiatives with the most meaningful impact to the customer experience.
- Oversee Nutritional Fact panel development.
- Engage external resources for project support related to formulation, nutrition, product testing, & regulatory compliance.
- Manage commercialization line trials in partnership with the Manufacturing team.
- Make product development recommendations based on new product trends & new processing technologies to support scale & growth at Daily Harvest.
Who you are:
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, Nutrition
- or a related area.
- Minimum of 5+ years of technical food science & product development experience is required.
- Experience in food product development, with preference for some experience in non-dairy frozen desserts & sauce development.
- Strong understanding of ingredient functionality & ingredient interactions.
- A high level understanding of thermal processing & HPP methodology as it relates to formulation.
- An understanding of key principles of food safety such as HACCP & Preventative Controls.
- Knowledge of how to drive continuous improvement based on key performance indicators. improvement processes.
- Knowledge of FDA nutrition regulations as they relate to labeling & ready-to-eat foods.
- Experience with experimental design as it relates to medium & long term food science projects, such as shelf-life studies & process validation.
- Self motivated & committed to a fast paced work environment.
- Strong analytical skills, & the ability to present meaningful data & information to all audiences.
- Experience working with 3rd party manufacturing partners for product commercialization & new formula launches.
- Must be able to function independently & travel as necessary.
- Ability to distill large volumes of disparate information into meaningful conclusions.
- Outstanding leadership, management, supervision, & interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build strong cross-functional relationships. Heavy interface with Culinary, Procurement, Supply Chain Finance, Marketing & Operations, & external partners.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Experience using Genesis, Tracegains, or any PLM systems is a plus.
- Proficiency (intermediate to advanced) in computer applications & systems including G-Suite & Microsoft Office Suite.
- Unlimited Daily Harvest in the office to keep you hustling, not hangry + cold brew (...always stocked)
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, & vision benefits, 401K + equity participation
- Ancillary benefits: Commuter, Gym membership + Citi Bike discounts
- Access to everything we make (including recipes in development)
- Annual company retreat
- Quarterly team outings, weekly onsite happy hours, + regular DH team gatherings to celebrate our co-workers
- Book club + running club
- Showers for post-morning or mid-workday workouts
- A dynamic, ambitious, & fun work environment + dog friendly!!
At Daily Harvest, our mission is to take care of food, so that food can take care of you. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table & believe in a collaborative & inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding principles & apply across all aspects of employment.