Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
This team is responsible for building tooling & functionality for our business users. The goal of this team is to facilitate the growth of our business to business product, by helping large enterprises purchase & deploy Codecademy to thousands of employees, assign content, & track learner progress both on & off our platform.
If youre passionate about solving enterprise scale problems & thinking about how to manage hundreds or thousands of employees effectively to make sure they are maximizing their potential on Codecademy, this team is for you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Extend the code evaluation engine that parses & evaluates code samples submitted by our learners, millions of times every single day (Go, Docker, AWS)
- Improve the interactive Learning Environment by creating new experiences, & increasing its reliability & performance (React, Ruby on Rails, Go)
- Design & improve systems for gaining insights about user learning (Ruby on Rails, Go, AWS Redshift/SQL)
- Design & improve APIs to enable other product teams to surface learning data to users in novel ways (Ruby, Go)
- Scale learning content production capacity by building new content production workflows in our internal CMS (React, Ruby, Go)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience designing APIs from the ground up; comfortable with API design patterns (REST, RPC)
- A passion for testing best practices; can write unit tests in your favorite language with your eyes closed
- Experience working with both SQL & NoSQL databases. We currently use a combination of PostgreSQL, MongoDB, & Amazon Redshift
- Familiarity with containerization technologies. We use Docker & Kubernetes extensively in development & production
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience with ops and/or containerization technologies: Kubernetes, Terraform, EC2, ECS, Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Experience working with modern front-end frameworks. We use React, Redux, & Webpack
- Particularly strong front-end experience in the React ecosystem
- Expertise in HTML & CSS, with a knack for layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, & accessibility
- Proven empathy for our users, such as a background in education or past experience using our site
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.