Compass is streamlining the home buying & selling experience by building the single software platform for all real estate activities. Founded in 2012, Compass combines the best technology & personalized service to power all real estate activities in 100+ U.S. cities, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
At Compass, we have nearly 15,000 of the countrys top real estate agents who work with clients to help them buy, sell & rent homes. Compass is a Series G venture-backed company that raised over $1.5 billion in venture funds, & have grown to over 1,800 employees in the last 2 years.
As a Commercial Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You're part of a group of talented in-house lawyers & the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively & constructively. You are energetic & collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compasss business & work with employees across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven & you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
What you will do:
- Provide business-focused legal advice & support across the organization on commercial matters, corporate transactions & other strategic initiatives
- Draft & negotiate complex commercial agreements of various types
- Identify risks & propose solutions through each phase of a transaction and/or new business initiative
- Demonstrate an ability to issue spot sensitive legal & business concerns, including a strong sense of when to escalate such matters to internal partners
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements & legal processes, with an emphasis on efficiency & scalability (including developing trainings, contract templates, & playbooks)
What We Look For:
- 4+ years of top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department; experience advising high-growth companies is a plus
- Strong academic credentials including a JD & membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY bar a plus)
- Excellent analytical, consulting, drafting & negotiation skills with the ability to make well-reasoned legal & business judgments and clearly explain complex ideas
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with other legal professionals.
- A willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, & take on additional responsibilities within the team as needed
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently, & manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure in a dynamic environment
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyones place.