Reporting to Convene's Vice President of Project Execution, the Director of Development & Construction in the Eastern Region will be responsible for the design & construction of coworking, meeting & event spaces in Boston, Philadelphia & Washington DC locations as Convene enters new, & grows in existing, locations. (S)he will join our Real Estate, Design, & Architecture team in New York, NY.
First & foremost, the Director of Development is a Convene ambassador, representing the company culture & vision while acting as the tip of the spear in new markets & personally owning the successful completion of all projects in their region. (S)he will use their considerable multi-faceted experience with design/construction projects in commercial real estate, preferably within a hospitality/retail setting, to assist & develop the scope & schedule for these projects. (S)he will provide oversight & management of all projects, display superior client service & meet all financial & milestone targets. (S)he will assist with all facets of the project including client tours & walk-throughs to represent the Convene vision for projects. This is a construction & design focused role for work & event space & not IT architecture.
What Youll Do:
- Lead a team of consultants & contractors to implement Convenes regional project goals & objectives.
- Author the scope & schedule for assigned projects, in collaboration with internal teams, to meet project goals.
- Plan & manage internal & external resources as required to coordinate & manage every facet of the development process.
- Collaborate with Convenes Real Estate & Underwriting teams to form & own project budgets.
- Coordinate & track all vendor RFPs in coordination with Procurement team.
- Interview general contractors & manage the bidding & GC selection process, Hire & manage all third-party consultants.
- In collaboration with the GC, provide conceptual & pre-construction estimating updates during key phases of the project.
- Communicate & present prudent information regarding project status to executive team members in a timely manner.
- Coordinate activities of contractors & sub-contractors related to project submittals, RFIs, change orders, payment requisitions & punch list signoffs.
- In collaboration with Convenes design team & consultants, lead the project permitting & entitlement process.
- Regulate on-site inspections, safety & quality.
- Work with the Convene asset management team to oversee the tenant reimbursement process.
- Play a lead role in project closeout & transition to operations.
- Coordinate with regional General Managers & Facilities Team to investigate & assess project work within existing, legacy portfolio. Support & develop project assessment reports & recommendations for future planning & execution.
- Grow & build regional relationships with general contractors, consultants, & vendors.
What We Look For:
- You have an architecture/engineering or design degree & +7 years of multi-faceted experience with fast-paced design/construction projects in commercial real estate, preferably within a hospitality/retail setting, managing corporate interior and/or base building construction.
- You have an owners mindset & a track record of managing projects as if they were your own, even when they are not.
- You are obsessed with getting it done & getting it right, yet you know how & where to make trade-offs. You know when to say when.
- You love the fast-paced multi-project scene & thrive under the pressure of working on several large projects at once.
- You can make good decisions, even in ambiguous situations, & take full accountability for the results of those decisions.
- You are a highly organized person & a very experienced project manager & can manage highly complex projects, seeing both the forest & the trees.
- You love data & set clear & meaningful project metrics, generating reports, trend analysis, & metrics as a consistent part of your management style.
- You are a proven negotiator, managing projects that require negotiating contracts as high as $30M in value.
- You have extensive working knowledge of construction processes & methods, lease agreements, due diligence reports & local building codes.
- You can easily read architectural & engineering drawings, furniture & space planning concepts.
- You have flexibility with work hours & travel as needed.
- You work well, & effectively, with others regardless of the role they play. You are as comfortable & skilled at talking with the GC as you are with a client executive on a site tour.
- You are an above-average user of the Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with WorkSheets & Honest Buildings a plus.
At Convene, were changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. By partnering with the largest landlords in commercial real estate, we design & service the next generation office building one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated workplace-as-a-service platform gives building tenants & enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting & event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, & curated experiences for users, all connected by Convenes proprietary technology platform.
- Founded in 2009
- Locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., & Los Angeles; Opening in Chicago in 2019 & plans to expand globally
- Launched Convene Workplace in 2017
- Ranked #11 Workplace in New York in 2017 by Fortune Magazine
- Ranked #30 in 2017 LinkedIn Annual List of Industry Disruptors
- 2019 Great Places to Work US
- 2018 Fortune Magazine Best Workplaces NY
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: we believe our values drive behaviors to create culture. Together were building a culture that embraces diversity & learning, humility & gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously & strive for a healthy integration between work & personal pursuits.
Benefits You Can Expect as A Convene Employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO & family leave
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growthHave a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, we support it. Each employee is required to have 65 hours of learning per year
- Excellent health coverage for team members & their families
- Supportive work environment & a leader who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions & hobbies
- Healthy snacks
Convene is committed to building an inclusive & diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer & welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities & perspectives.