Who are we?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting.
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. We care about writing good software that is clean, concise, & well-tested; flexible & easy to maintain. Our stack is Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL & ReactJS, but we are not dogmatic & believe in using the right tools for a particular problem.
This is a remote job. Youre free to work where you work best, anywhere in Malaysia: home office, coworking space, coffee shops. While we currently have an office in Ilham Tower located along Jalan Binjai near Jalan Ampang, the team meets up once a week or month as we all see fit to do so.
You can expect an inclusive, eager team wholl support you in it, rise to challenges with you, & grow together. We value people who can take a stand yet commit even when they disagree. And understand the value in others being heard. We subject ideas to rigorous consideration & challenge each other, but all remember that were here for the same purpose: to do good work together. We believe in building trust through direct feedback, openness to each others experience, & willingness to show up for each other as well as for the technical work at hand. Were in this for the long term. We also want to be kind, considerate, fair, flexible, & calm. Especially in a crisis.
Here are some real examples of the work weve done lately that might help you to get a better idea of what this job entails:
- Upgrading Rails environment periodically for over a dozen applications
- Fixing all reported security vulnerabilities reported by security audits
- Sunsetting legacy applications
- Improving Docker-based environment & dockerizing several applications
- Capable of directing junior staff on a project.
- Object-oriented programming is well understood, more advanced concepts may only have fundamental knowledge.
- Follows established patterns & approaches within existing code bases. Some assistance may be required.
- Work is reviewed with the occasional need for material direction or implementation changes. Capable of reviewing work produced by their team, potentially with guidance.
- Follows professional team & organizational standards. Helps maintain professional standards for the team.
- Writes code with good test coverage; may not know the best way to approach testing in all scenarios.
- Basic knowledge of system-level tooling. Capable of more advanced development tool workflows for local debugging.
- Fundamental knowledge of source control expected. Expected to know some advanced features. Expected to practice a least one form of source control flows (e.g. gitflow).
- Understands fundamental concepts of systems development life cycle (SDLC), & monitors adherence to all practical aspects.
- Should be aware of business value in work being done. Not expected to be able to prioritize own work in terms of business value.
- Responsible for maintaining professional standards for your team.
- Self-directs work & provide guidance to associates on tasks related to existing projects.
- Provides front-line assistance for maintaining 24/7 service uptime for the organization.
- Is responsible for understanding which operations affect the scope of the budget.