Away is seeking a search engine optimization lead to drive SEO initiatives across our business. This role reports to our head of Acquisition Marketing & sits on the Acquisition Marketing team.
The Acquisition team is a performance-driven squad of marketers within Away. Our mission is to thoughtfully experiment to grow our customer base quickly, efficiently, & sustainably.
The right candidate would join us as our in-house subject matter expert for technical SEO, content optimization, & local SEO. The scope of this role does not include any day-to-day paid SEM/PPC responsibilities. This position is based out of our SoHo headquarters in New York City.
What youll do:
- Build a global SEO program that substantially increases organic search revenue in 2019.
- Drive organic search traffic by conducting site audits, keyword research, content optimization, & landscape analysis.
- Go beyond tracking performance on the usual SEO metrics, such as Domain Authority, & measure true business impact, such as demonstrating lift in branded search volume.
- Collaborate with our Digital Product, UX, & Engineering teams to identify & prioritize technical opportunities to increase organic search traffic.
- Develop an exciting content strategy that successfully balances SEO practices with the needs of our current & potential customers, all while upholding our brand standards.
- Design & implement a link building strategy with our Brand Marketing & PR teams, building link equity across an expanding portfolio of domestic & international keywords.
- Dive into the latest algorithm updates, mobile SERPs & indices, local packs, relevant industry trends, & synthesize your research into recommendations for teams across Away.
What your first 90 days could look like:
- Days 1-30: Youll be introduced to key teams, learning all about how we work, & finding ways to be in it together. Over your first few weeks, youll produce a comprehensive SEO audit, addressing your main tooling & dashboarding needs along the way. Informed by our broader business goals & your conversations across the team, your recommendations will set up more intense deep dives into the opportunities youve surfaced.
- Days 31-60: Working closely with Strategic Ops & our Project Management teams, youll scope, prioritize, resource, & coordinate projects that increase organic traffic & revenue. Meanwhile, youll establish measurement & experimentation frameworks that allow us to confidently test, iterate, & ultimately grow organic revenue in a systematic way.
- Days 61-90 (and beyond): With some of your early wins slotted for production or live on our website, youll start to shape cross-functional conversations that impact our success in organic search around the world. As our internal thought leader on SEO, youll be an invaluable resource for other teams looking into optimize for organic search in one-off ways across copy, retail, content marketing, & more.
Who you are:
- Youre likely to have at least 3 years of experience in SEO. This challenge isnt entry-level!
- Prior consumer e-commerce, retail, publisher, or agency experience for similar clients is an advantage.
- You have both a technical & practical understanding of modern SEO. You know the difference between PageRank & RankBrain, or TF-IDF & related entities, & can explain to non-experts why they matter at an appropriate level of detail.
- You secretly enjoy log file analysis. Whiteboard Fridays may be a guilty pleasure. You might have a love/hate relationship with schema.org, featured snippets, & the new Search Console.
- You have a preferred suite of technical SEO tools & are deeply familiar with them. These may include: crawlers (Screaming Frog, DeepCrawl, Botify), keyword research tools (SEMRush, STAT), backlink tools (Ahrefs, Link Research Tools) & more.
- Youre likely comfortable doing data analysis & visualization in Excel. You may have direct experience or exposure to other tools, such as Looker & Tableau.
- You love to travel (but that's a given).
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have flexible PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer equitable compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. Well give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches & regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to enhance your travel experience. Were building a company with a mission to make travel more seamlessstarting with luggage. We started in 2016 with one foundational piece: The Carry-On. Today, were working to build the #1 travel brand in the world.
To date weve sold more than 500,000 suitcases, opened several retail locations, expanded internationally to meet our customers where they are, launched an in-house media division, & grown to a team of more than 150 people. We know thats just the beginning.
Fast Company named us one of their 2018 Top 10 Most Innovative Companies, we were selected as one of TIME's 50 Genius Companies of 2018, included on LinkedIn's "Top Startups of 2018" list, & called a Breakthrough Brand with Ingenious Marketing by Adweek.