ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms Engineering team builds systems, integrations, interfaces & applications that help our audience of millennial women better navigate their world. We partner closely with product, editorial, & marketing teams to build innovative products, & are expanding our purview from news & information into tools & features that help our audience manage aspects of their lives.
As our product suite diversifies were looking for a skilled Senior Engineer for our Backend team, who will be responsible for building the APIs, databases, & service logic that will power new offerings that move beyond news. This area of growth for theSkimm is our most important strategic effort, & you could be the person that helps us succeed.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Designing architectures that are resilient to spikes in traffic, resistant to attack, & secured from intrusion & data extraction
- Building business logic, request handling, multi-platform presentation, API integrations anything necessary to turn our product dreams into realities
- Mentoring fellow engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor on issues of technical design, code quality, & clear communication
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Demonstrated experience building robust & resilient APIs & services
- Experience writing & desire to help others write clean, simply-expressed, practically-documented code
- A stable of former colleagues youve supported & who loved working with you
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience securing personal information, including financial transaction data
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails, Python, PostgreSQL, & NGINX
- Experience migrating application logic to a serverless architecture
- Experience splitting legacy monolith applications into microservices
- Experience deploying, scripting, & maintaining AWS-based architectures
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
- History of recruiting & mentoring a team of engineers from a variety of backgrounds, skill levels, & life experiences
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability insurance, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning & fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals & drinks during our weekly "Sipn Skimm" all-hands meeting & twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, & a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!