Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. Our clients include everyone from many of the Fortune 500 companies, to government agencies, to small- & medium-sized businesses. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is looking for a Commercial Counsel to join a dynamic & growing legal team. As Commercial Counsel, you will play a key role in our rapidly growing enterprise business, while also handling a wide range of commercial issues. You will work closely with teams across the business, advising on various legal issues & helping ensure our people have the best information & tools to successfully do their jobs while appropriately managing risk. Day-to-day responsibilities will include negotiating, drafting & reviewing a wide variety of complex commercial agreements; crafting policies & processes that balance business objectives & legal risk; & partnering with the business to respond to a wide range of legal questions & issues as they arise.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who enjoys operating autonomously, can manage multiple projects & competing priorities comfortably, & brings extraordinary judgment & interpersonal skills to the role. We are looking for candidates who are excited about the opportunity to help to grow General Assemblys business in a compliant & forward-looking manner, while working with diverse groups of stakeholders to get things done in a complex & fast-moving global business environment.
- Review, draft & negotiate enterprise sales, partnerships, vendor, contractor, licensing, & other complex agreements, using your experience to help define business terms & structure deals in a way that drives our growth.
- Through working with them on transactions, help to foster & deepen relationships with enterprise clients around the world, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, & small- & medium-sized businesses.
- Oversee GAs contracts management system, records management, & related processes in partnership with the rest of the legal team.
- Advise sales, product, real estate, HR, marketing, engineering, & other teams on a full range of issues related to commercial contracting, software licensing, intellectual property, privacy, & data security, including compliance with domestic & international laws.
- Assist with the creation, updating, & maintenance of actionable internal policies, resources, & compliance programs & conduct effective legal training.
- Assist in developing short- & long-range goals & objectives for the legal team.
- Act as a utility player & work across a variety of projects & teams.
- Manage a diverse & challenging workload with competing priorities & stakeholders.
- Broad-based corporate generalist with 4-6 years of experience in the commercial and/or corporate space, gained through a combination of law firm & in-house roles of increasing visibility & responsibility.
- Solid experience in commercial contracts supporting active business development for clients and/or for global sales teams, including leading negotiations with large companies & working closely with finance partners.
- Experience with labor & employment contracts is preferred but not required.
- Substantial understanding of licensing, privacy, data security, intellectual property, & commercial laws. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of GA & our industry, including the interplay of relevant regulations, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment & escalate issues when needed.
- Comfortable & effective at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams.
- Demonstrated drive for results, work ethic & ability to prioritize risks & projects to focus on whats important, get things done, & seize opportunities.
- Excellent planning & organization skills; meticulous attention to detail is a must.
- Strong academic credentials & New York Bar admission in good standing.