Were looking for a VP, Corporate Development to lead Group Nines inorganic growth strategy & build our Mergers & Acquisitions team. The VP of Corporate Development will help shape our growth strategy by identifying industry trends, maintaining relationships with partners that support our M&A efforts, & sourcing, negotiating & executing & integrating our strategic acquisitions globally. As the media landscape continues to evolve, the scope of industries & sectors will include not only digital media, but also advertising services, consumer services, traditional media, & international targets. This role will report to the CFO, but collaborate closely with the senior leadership team of Group Nine, including brand leaders, as part of defining & executing on an inorganic growth strategy. A successful candidate will build our Corporate Development function from the ground up, & be responsible for hiring deal execution as well as integration team members with the goal of developing a team with the capacity to acquire & integrate 2 to 3 targets on an annual basis.
Deal sourcing, including managing key external relationships (e.g., investment banks & other channels), is a key component to this role. This person will provide leadership in evaluating & executing new investment opportunities, partnerships/alliances, acquisitions, mergers, spin-offs & joint ventures. The position will be located in New York City.
The VP, Corporate Development will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Support G9s inorganic growth strategy through identification, assessment & execution of potential mergers, acquisitions, investments & joint ventures, as well as divestitures by the company
- Collaborate with senior leadership to think about corporate development opportunities in a progressive, systematic & routine fashion. Build relationships with each brand & department leader to keep an ongoing flow of ideas that is aligned with our overall corporate strategy
- Manage G9s global industry engagement & deal/investment relationships with Investment Banking firms
- Partner with senior leadership before, during & after the M&A processes, to ensure the deals make strategic sense, fit with the strategic business plans, & are integrated effectively
- Lead cross-functional teams in developing acquisition business case analyses & executing & interfacing with finance, accounting, legal, tax, HR & other departments of G9 to ensure seamless deal execution
- Evaluate & execute other strategic initiatives such as joint ventures, divestitures & licensing/partnerships that involve more innovative structures than traditional commercial terms
- Manage key deliverables including creating analyses, overseeing execution & identifying next steps in process flow
- Play a key role in all of G9s M&A activities & provide general transaction & analytic support, including the creation of summaries & presentation materials to communicate recommendations to senior management as well as our Board of Directors
- 15+ years of transaction experience in Corporate Development or M&A at a large global Corporation or Investment Bank
- MBA or relevant graduate degree from top-tier institution or similar academic / professional experience
- Significant experience in leading teams to execute all aspects of transactions including direct experience in M&A negotiation, execution & integration
- Public company acquisition experience
- Deep knowledge & understanding of the media industry
- Experience working in a demanding environment with highly motivated & driven professionals
- Ability to handle projects with multiple workstreams, with proven leadership success over a wide variety of functional business problems
- Superior analytical & problem solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual & analytical rigor
- Ability to structure & manage complex cross-enterprise projects & processes with multiple stakeholders at both senior & junior levels
- Excellent presentation skills, including strong oral & writing capabilities; ability to clearly communicate compelling messages to senior managers & external business partners
- Strong leadership skills with a team-oriented & collaborative approach to work
- Global or multinational business experience preferred
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.