Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, & grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult & expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware & software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, & more. We're working to find new & better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The API Platform team creates tools that both external & internal developers use to build apps on Square's platform. We are a small, focused, & rapidly growing team with an abundance of growth & impact opportunities.
Our products & responsibilities include:
- SDK generation for multiple platforms
- Building React Native & Flutter components that developers can easily incorporate into their apps
- Rich sample applications that developers can use as building blocks or starting points
- API Frameworks that enable internal teams to publish their APIs faster & easier
- Testing platforms for our external developers
- Frameworks for Square's public Webhooks
As a software engineer on the API Platform team, you will own the design, creation, & maintenance for all of the above. You will have the opportunity to participate in the community of developers who build on the Square Developer Platform & use that knowledge along with usage data to create new tools & components as well as adapt existing ones to meet the needs of our developer customers.
- Help build our Developer Platform, for use by millions of Square Sellers & a key strategic asset of Square.
- Design & implement easy to use tools & reusable components, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency & availability when both are not possible.
- Work cross-functionally with our product teams, *many* other engineering teams, & partner developers to design & implement Squares global developer platform.
- Build systems that maintain customers sensitive data & hold Square to the highest standards for security & compliance.
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, & break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Take input from & work with our developer community on Square SDK projects & contribute to other projects as appropriate.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience (4+ years preferred)
- A strong sense of customer empathy & desire to influence the product direction
- Innate curiosity & a desire to be responsible for all aspects of building Square's developer platform in a small, highly focused, & very rapidly growing team.
- Understanding & curiosity in creating well thought out, scalable, low-latency, global systems.
- Been self-driven, open to collaboration & willing to grow as an engineer
Even better if you are experienced in:
- React Native & / or Flutter
- Cross-team & cross-functional collaboration
- Creating SDKs, APIs, & developer tools
- Working collaboratively or contributing to open source projects
At Square, we value diversity & always treat all employees & job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, & talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name & preferred method of contact, & we will respond as soon as possible.