BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed is hiring an assistant general counsel to work in the companys law department to lead the privacy, brand trust & safety legal function.
- Provide privacy & data security subject-matter guidance to cross-functional legal colleagues & to the business (including Tech, IT, Human Resources, Ad Sales, Marketing & Data Partnerships).
- Respond to privacy & infosecurity-related data subject inquiries & regulatory investigations, coordinating such responses globally.
- Draft & maintain external privacy notices & disclosures, & manage/update internal policies & procedures to ensure compliance with global laws bearing on privacy & cybersecurity.
- Help develop, enhance, scale & run the existing global privacy program, including privacy operations & documentation; employee training; policy enforcement, updating, monitoring & auditing; & incident response. Ensure the programs ongoing, consistent & efficient operation.
- Work on data security governance, compliance, trust & safety & InfoSec functions to scope & perform data privacy risk assessments, mitigation & remediation, including data control design & monitoring, as well as the mitigation of privacy & security risks.
- Provide privacy-related counseling on contracts & corporate transactions, including deals involving a data licensing component. Manage/update standard data processing addendums & develop new contract forms as needed.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant consumer protection, privacy & data security laws & regulations, as well as on technological developments, threat vectors, & evolving industry standards to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice.
- Attend & represent BuzzFeed at relevant industry groups such as the IAB, & advise on potential public-policy positions.
- Lead other privacy & data protection initiatives as may be assigned.
- Oversee the management of the companys trademark portfolio, including clearance, filing, prosecution, registration, & enforcement of intellectual property assets.
- Supervise knock-out searches.
- IP counseling, including with respect to commercial activities & transactions.
- Advising on advertising law compliance topics (truth in advertising, disclosures, proper labeling, cannabis, political advertising, adult content, etc.).
- Lead other intellectual property initiatives as may be assigned.
- Consult the facilities & human resources teams on topics related to workplace safety.
- Advise the business on the design & implementation of policies that ensure that visitors to the companys digital properties enjoy a safe online experience.
- Work with risk management & facilities to assess threat vectors related to the companys operations.
- Collaborate with the engineering teams to design measures to protect the companys information on employees & customers.
- Counsel the business on safety issues that might arise in relation to user generated content & on platforms where interactivity or engagement could become potentially problematic.
- Lead other safety initiatives as may be assigned.
- You have strong organizational skills
- You pay careful attention to details & deadlines
- You exercise great discretion & can be trusted with confidential information
- You are comfortable interacting with senior executive management
- You can multitask & prioritize
- You are willing to drive cross-functional initiatives
- You take pride in & are skilled at written & verbal communication
- You are cool under pressure
- You have unimpeachable integrity
- You are diligent, proactive & collaborative
- You possess a sense of humor
- You carry yourself with humility, grace & professionalism
- You are fun, upbeat & have a glass-half-full view of the world
- J.D. & an active membership in at least one state bar.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or other similar privacy credential is a strong plus.
- 5-8 years of privacy experience & knowledge of intellectual property. Prior in-house experience & general regulatory compliance experience is a plus.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Willingness to work remotely until BuzzFeed offices reopen, with an expectation to physically work in the companys Manhattan, New York offices thereafter.
- Ability to travel as necessary, including international travel.
- Experience providing pragmatic & actionable advice to clients on various legal risks & obligations under multi-jurisdictional privacy & data security laws in at least the U.S., & UK/EU (including CCPA, GDPR, etc.). Bonus points if you also have experience relevant to Canada, Australia, or India.
- Developed & implemented external privacy notices.
- Knowledge of the digital media ecosystem (including the place in that ecosystem of publishers, platforms, exchanges, agencies, marketers, etc.).
- Strong familiarity with consent management platforms, data management platforms (DMPs), ad tech (SSPs, DSPs, etc.), programmatic advertising, consent strings, cookies, behavioral & contextual targeting, etc.
- Advised on & managed internal policies & procedures on data protection, security, & privacy.
- Commitment to privacy by design & track record of collaborating with clients to ensure that data protection concerns are embedded in all products & processes.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.