The Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is looking for a talented Data Science Analyst with experience in scientific research (biochemistry, pre-med or a related field) to work alongside our research & engineering teams to crowdsource, annotate, curate & analyze data produced by the machine learning & AI models that power our academic search engine Semantic Scholar. This role will start out as a 12 month contract.
Who Are Are:
Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) is a free, AI-powered research tool for scientific literature. We have grown from a groundbreaking research project at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence to a product millions of scholars use every week. Semantic Scholar uses artificial intelligence to extract the semantics, or meaning, of scientific literature & surface it to our users through a discovery experience that helps them understand science more effectively than any other tool.
Since our launch in 2015, we have indexed more than 180 million research papers & built a user base of millions of scholars in over 100 countries. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, Wired, Nature, Science, & many other publications.
- Work with Research to understand project scope & define annotation & evaluation requirements.
- Create & crowdsource annotations from research papers to build large datasets that power our machine learning & AI models.
- Evaluate model output & manage data quality to ensure that the data can be used by our research team to develop high-performing models.
- Produce & document insights from annotations to support error analysis & recommend model improvements.
- In-depth background & understanding of one or more scientific domains (biochemistry, pre-med or a related field).
- Experience reading & evaluating research papers or have published your own research.
- Enjoy working collaboratively with other researchers.
- Strong attention to detail, self-organized & focused on speed & quality.
- Bachelor of Science or related degree.
What you bring to AI2:
- Proven research track record as an undergraduate/graduate student.
- Strong background & understanding of a scientific domain (biochemistry, pre-med or a related field).
- Proficiency with text editing tools, spreadsheet & a basic understanding of command line interfaces. Additional technical skills including SQL & scripting a plus.
- Strong analytical skills & an interest in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, & our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, & promote people from all genders, ethnicities, & all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, & people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences & perspectives can bring to an organization, & we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected & considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance we believe our team members are happiest & most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, & vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation & sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative & transparent we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, & even quicker to share & jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle & our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, & we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.