WHO WE ARE:
The People Team is responsible for making sure everything runs smoothly. And by everything, we mean EVERYTHING: IT & InfoSec, events, facilities maintenance, recruiting, payroll & benefits, HR, people data analytics - you name it, we own it. We work smart, efficiently, & humbly to ensure Bark as a whole is set up for success, whether that means keeping the cold brew keg full or navigating Bark through a global pandemic. Our philosophy is work hard, laugh hard, pet lots of pups. We keep the Bark train rolling & our pups & their parents happy. Come aboard!
Based in New York City or Seattle, the Chief People Officer will report to the CEO, Manish Joneja. They will be a strategic thought partner for the leadership team & responsible for leading all functions within the People organization. As BARK continues to grow & scale, the Chief People Officer will design, develop, & implement innovative programs to promote a high-performance, energetic, & engaged workforce. The Chief People Officer will align & build the People team to support business goals & objectives & will serve as a critical driver of performance within the organization.
The Chief People Officer at BARK will join a fast-moving, entrepreneurial team with an eye toward strategic execution. They will have the ability to maintain the flexibility of a start-up culture & act nimbly in balancing short-term & long-term objectives while employing a bias for action. This individual will build upon BARKs existing foundation & innovation to enhance processes & frameworks around talent acquisition, learning & development, organizational design & compensation strategy.
WHO WERE SNIFFIN FOR:
The successful candidate will be a passionate & strategic leader with a track-record within high-performing People organizations, ideally having led the function through an IPO. They will have the proven ability to execute & build scalable processes & systems within growth organizations & roll up their sleeves to dig into the details. The successful candidate will be team-oriented & a strong decision maker - an individual who is able to drive consensus & serve as a collaborative change agent.
The Chief People Officer will be an external evangelist & seen as an expert within their field. Internally, they will be an enabling force, constantly raising the performance bar while keeping the team focused on growing the business.
- Partner with leadership team to develop a comprehensive strategic roadmap to building the People function to support the company's growth
- Develop a strategic talent strategy, including employment branding, talent channel development, candidate engagement & assessment as well as metrics & analytics
- Counsel & guide hiring managers with competitive market intelligence
- Implement new learning & development programs to provide employees with the necessary tools to be most effective in their roles & satisfied with their career development as the company grows & scales
- Build Culture & Connection. Amplify our core values & create opportunities for employee connection; keeping our people informed, engaged, & inspired.
- Work to develop a deep understanding of BARKs workforce diversity, inclusiveness & retention opportunities
- Develop & administer a competitive, contemporary compensation program by completing regular market analysis, designing pay structures, conducting cost analyses & effectively implementing improvements
- Cultivate Team Leadership & Senior Leadership. Coach, mentor, & develop individuals on the People & Culture team, & continue to elevate the organization to perform at a world-class level. Be a visible member of the executive team & a trusted advisor to departmental & operational leaders at all levels in the company; work to build, align, energize & retain key leaders at all levels
- 10+ years of experience running People/HR teams at a VP or higher capacity in a fast paced, high-growth, & highly engaged environment
- 8+ years managing compensation strategy, performance management systems, promotion protocols, compliance, L&D or coaching programs, HRIS, etc
- 5+ years of experience working at a similarly sized company (500+)
- Experience being a member or trusted partner to an Executive Team, preferably in a public company
- Experience building and/or expanding a Global workforce
- Experience advising through an IPO a plus!
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Understand the cutting edge, high involvement work practices that support a growth environment
- Have a proven track record of creating & implementing high-quality people programs & strategies that can scale
- Build strong relationships across the organization & possess excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Have a deep passion for culture & people, with a strong instinct for managing & developing talent across all areas of the organization
- Be thoughtful in balancing short-term & long-term objectives while employing a bias for action
- Be able to work well under pressure while dealing with multiple competing priorities
This position is a full-time, salaried position located in either NYC or Seattle, WA. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.