As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the team:
New York Magazine connects readers to indispensable content, experiences, & products. Our media is the starting point from which we provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms. The Consumer Products team delivers services that empower our audiences to access or purchase products & experiences.
About the role:
Were seeking a seasoned, curious, engaging Director of Engineering to lead our platform & Consumer Products teams. Spanning eCommerce, subscriptions & service/utility offerings, these groups also support sites including NYMag, Vulture, The Cut, Intelligencer, The Strategist, & more.
The position will focus on building & maintaining team health & culture, advancing application testing coverage, & improving application reliability & performance. Working with both a local & nearshore team, the Director will own the vision & direction for the technology that delivers high-profile, delightfully designed products & experiences.
What you'll do:
- Work with the Chief Technology Officer as well as developers to instill best practices for software development, testing, & deployment.
- Lead & manage a team of engineers through mentorship, coaching, & direct support & education: Champion engineering excellence
- Implement advanced CI/CD tools & techniques
- Partner with Product, Design, & Research teams to deliver delightful products
- Ensure the team delivers sites that are accessible & forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards
- Conduct application & architecture performance analysis across the full stack of our solutions from systems to code to cloud services.
- Project management: prioritization, planning of projects & features; stakeholder management, collaborating with our Product team, & tracking of external commitments.
- Develop & own the teams engineering roadmaps
- Cultivate a healthy, inclusive learning culture both within & between teams, & provide mentoring & guidance to junior & mid-level engineers
What you'll bring:
- A strong sense of ownership, accountability, urgency, & drive
- Experience in building & running distributed systems for 24x7 online services at scale.
- 10 years of work experience in software development, including at least 3 years in a leadership role
- Track record of data-driven decisions
- Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture principles
- Experience in defining & executing professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle
- Strengths in problem-solving, issue resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail, & ability to multitask.
- Knowledge of Node.js/Express, AWS, Elastic, Redis, nginx, Postgres, Terraform, Docker, CircleCI, Spark, Google Big Query, & AWS
- Preferred experience working in a media environment
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.