When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges & an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 6 years ago & finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years & we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines & restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, & giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants & consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world & we do this in real time. Millions of customers & thousands of restaurants & riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And were just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at 7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking & travel to retail & communications - its clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FTs list of Europes fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, & we were the first company ever to win Deloittes UK Top 50 two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
At Deliveroo were striving to build Londons finest engineering organisation. As an organisation we continually evolve & improve our approach to engineering to make Deliveroo an industry defining food company & world-renowned technology organisation.
We are the go-to people for our product teams to consult in infrastructure optimisations for our time-critical live services. The health of our production systems is our top priority, & we are empowered to make changes at scale with speed & safety.
Our Platform teams utilise their software & systems engineering skills to both build up & mentor others, have a toolbox for troubleshooting distributed systems, & are responsible for building & maintaining the tools we are missing. We drive the overall strategy & direction of engineering excellence in service reliability, observability, infrastructure management & incident response.
- We are great collaborators
- We embrace every opportunity to automate
- We are confident to advocate for doing the right thing
- We are flexible life-long learners who embrace new challenges & new tools
- We can have open, honest & respectful conversations in everything we do
- Design, build & maintain our constantly evolving platform, infrastructure & services that run Deliveroo
- Teach & collaborate with others how to run production systems with confidence & autonomy
- Remain comfortable supporting teams with expertise in the areas of deployment, infrastructure configuration, scalability in all parts of the stack
- Help cultivate the engineering organisation e.g. engineer interviews, peer mentoring & technical evangelism
- Apply modern software engineering practices including writing & reviewing code
- Carry the pager, be on-call for the underlying platform used by other engineers
Our skills include:
We want to emphasise that we dont expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in at least one area.
- Experience with VMs, containers & serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS & Lambda)
- Experience with networking, CDNs, HTTP & TCP/IP basics. (We use Cloudflare, AWS VPCs & many of our services implement JSON and/or GraphQL APIs)
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management & "Infrastructure as Code". (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform & Ansible)
- Experience with monitoring Web applications (We use Datadog, Sentry)
- Experience with managing databases, caches & message queues. (We use Postgres, DynamoDB, Redis & Kafka)
- Experience as a professional "DevOps", "SRE" or "SysAdmin" roles
- Ability to work with unfamiliar code bases, including internal, open source & 3rd party code we depend on
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, were always looking for new ideas & were very transparent about the decisions we make & why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer & plenty more we havent even encountered. How do data & technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - & there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth & personal impact is enormous.
Benefits & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business & we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away & relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners & because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed & able to share in the companys success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in & how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food & a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.