Type: Full Time
Who we are:
We are Dataminr. We deliver real-time, actionable alerts that are derived from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our clients are the first to know about high-impact events & critical breaking information, giving them the opportunity to act faster & stay one step ahead when every second counts. We are a mission-driven company committed to the power of real-time information as a force for good in the world.
Our groundbreaking AI & machine learning technology cuts through the noise in an increasingly complex landscape by detecting, classifying, & determining the significance of public information. Headquartered in NYC, Dataminr has revolutionized the way that global news, finance, public sector, corporate security & PR/communications professionals know & act on critical, relevant information to protect people, assets & brands.
Along the way, we've grown to over 450 talented employees across six global offices, raised over $570 million from leading venture & growth technology investors, & been referred to as the super tool of journalists & hedge funds. Weve received numerous awards & accolades from our clients, including recognition from CNBC as one of the worlds 50 most disruptive private technology companies in 2016 & joining Forbes definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world, in 2017 & 2018.
A career at Dataminr offers the ability to make a meaningful impact at a rapidly growing tech company with a startup culture, while being supported by the experience of a company founded in 2009. We value ownership, curiosity & drive on an individual level & live these values every day. We empower everyone to have a voice at the table & regularly invest in professional development. Our culture promotes cross team interaction, work-life balance & the sharing of information & ideas because it enables us to do our best work & have fun.
Who you are:
You're an experienced software engineer with superb software development skills interested in helping us sort, analyze & deliver relevant information from terabytes of unstructured social media data. As well as setting technical direction for significant parts of our microservices based architecture, you'll mentor & train other engineers & be thinking about how to make the team more effective every day.
You'll be using Java & Scala, SQL & NoSQL data stores, Kafka & Docker to name a few, all running on AWS. We're always keen to use emerging technologies if they can help us achieve our goals.
In this role, you will use these tools to build the services & underlying infrastructure that allows us to deal with all of that data. You'll need to collaborate closely with other teams in engineering, product & across the organization to develop innovative solutions to new challenges.
In the first month, you'll:
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our tech stack with overview sessions & deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems from the get-go.
Within 3 months, youll:
- share responsibility for several systems with your team.
- help to plan new features & architecture improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in mentoring & growing the team.
Within 6 months, youll:
- design significant features that impact multiple systems & teams.
- own several microservices & be responsible for their reliability, deployment & scalability.
- be influential in helping plan the next iterations of our architecture as we strive to get more alerts to our clients faster & with near-perfect reliability.
- bring new ideas to our engineering-wide processes to help us improve constantly.
The way we work:
To maintain our momentum, we need a talented, diverse team of people committed to the idea that real-time information can be a force for good in the world.
- We take initiative, ownership, & are accountable.
- We work urgently & thoughtfully & are driven to constantly improve.
- We share knowledge, consider varied perspectives, & assume positive intent.
- We are commercially minded & deliver measurable results.
- We maintain a sense of humor & humility.
Our offering of competitive benefits & perks include:
- Company paid benefits for employees & their dependents, such as medical, dental, vision, disability & life
- Flexible spending account to be used for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking & dependent care expenses
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching
- Generous leave
- Daily catered lunch
- A kitchen fully stocked with snacks & beverages
- Discounted Gym Membership
Dataminr is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.