Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The goal of the Career Coach is to ensure students are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps & graduates are prepared & confident in their job search. A balance of ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical for this role.
- Coach & Counselor - Ensure job-seeking students & graduates have a smooth transition from the classroom to job seeking & that they feel supported during this process. Reduce anxiety for students & graduates around their job search through clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search & educational experience.
- Content Delivery - Educate students & graduates of a Data Analytics immersive program, based out of Buffalo, NY, on skills needed to perform an effective job search. Lead both recurring one-on-one & classroom based programming.
- Content Creation - Work with teams at GA that are responsible for curriculum to highlight updates as needed & create new student-facing resources. Be a key thought partner in the curriculum & resource creation.
- Internal Team Connector - Utilize & coordinate with GA community resources as needed to acquire additional educational opportunities (mock technical interviews, project feedback, etc.)
- Risk Management - Track student progress & highlight to teammates & stakeholders when a student isnt doing well or falling out of communication. Also, ensure that were putting quality, qualified grads into our community.
Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with the Data (data analytics, data science) hiring landscape; previous experience working in some facet of the data or tech industry. Awareness of job market & breadth of opportunities.
- Passionate about education & technology.
- Previous recruiting or counseling/coaching experience. Account management or sales experience is a plus.
- Comfortable presenting both one-on-one & delivering to a large group.
- Able to give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional & life backgrounds.
- Previous personal job search experience, & an ability to be relatable.
- Resourceful; able to pull educational resources from the community & to tailor lesson plans/meetings based on graduate needs.
- Able to manage requests & organize systems to keep track of students in various stages. Highly organized & data conscious.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others & can handle other peoples stress.
- Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports & team or project members; can assess each persons hot button & use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks & decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person & shares ownership & visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for & with.
- Managing Vision & Purpose: Communicates a compelling & inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts & symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire & motivate entire units or organizations.
- Innovation Management: Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas & suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Managing & Measuring Work: Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks & decisions; sets clear objectives & measures; monitors process, progress, & results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Organizing: Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively & efficiently arranges information & files in a useful manner.
- Listening: Practices attentive & active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
- Patience: Is tolerant with people & processes; listens & checks before acting; tries to understand the people & the data before making judgments & acting; waits for others to catch up before acting; sensitive to due process & proper pacing; follows established process.
- Presentation Skills: Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small & large groups, with peers, direct reports, & bosses; is effective both inside & outside the organization, on both cool data & hot & controversial topics; commands attention & can manage group processes during the presentation; can change tactics midstream when something isnt working.