BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
Business Area: Content
Job Category: Operations
Salary: 35-42/hr USD
Union Status: Non Union
The Financial Operations Analytics team is responsible for continually evolving BuzzFeeds internal tracking & reporting best practices, cultivating data literacy & data-driven leadership. Were looking for a database analyst who enjoys sharing data management best practices across an organization, & finds excitement in helping further develop the databases used daily by our analysts & pipeline partners. Whether youre looking for an opportunity to gain more leadership experience, or hone your technical skills, this role provides the flexibility for both.
- Lead the maintenance & evolution of a highly-integrated database sourced from various departments & organizations
- Develop & improve existing database structure; automate testing processes to improve maintainability
- Ensure the stability of the visual database environment, improving database integration, & preventing connectivity issues between the database & reporting tools
- Foster database management best practice & database literacy, working with organization leaders & managers at all levels in a energetic & connective manner
- Collaborate with & work through others, lifting the skills & expertise of those around you
- Serve as a resource and/or mentor to other leads & managers, providing thoughtful, constructive feedback that is sensitive to the individual needs & perspectives of other employees
- Experience building & testing integrated databases using Excel & SQL. Google Big Query & Data Studio preferred
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy & responsibility, & can communicate energetically through Slack
- You value testing, process mapping, & documenting your work
- You collaborate well with analysts in building reporting tools; you are insightful & thoughtful in communicating with teams that have little or no database expertise
- Expertise working in an environment without a database management service. However, if you havent worked without a database management service, you should have strong opinions on how to build & manage one
- Four (4) years database maintenance experience
- Two (2) years experience working with SQL
- Four (4) years experience working with advanced Excel formulas
- Two (2) years experience in process improvement
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.